Lower River Report

EJW88

Fished the lower river yesterday morning. Suprised to see very little boats out or fishermen on shore but thats how it usually is this time of year. We fished out of a friends boat today and the fish cooperated. We hit two steelhead on the pumphouse drift within the first 20 mins on Ub eggs in hotpink. We figured it was still early so we'd leave this drift and try some others. Went towards line two and did a drift there and didn't hit anything so we went back to where we started. About half way through the drift my Dad gets a huge hit and the rod is just bent and hes slowly pulling this bulldogging fish to the top. When it got up near the surface it was a huge 18 to 20 pound channel cat that hit his pinkworm. Pretty neat to catch that. Did another drift and starting to pick up gobies :) . We headed to the Art Park and I got a sheaphead there on a kwikfish. Went to Queenston and our friend bar73 from Spoonpullers lost a nice brown at the boat. One boat was hitting fish every drift on live minnows. So we try a couple a drifts and missed a few fish. We headed in at 10 as the wind switched direction. So total for the day was 2 for 6 on steelhead and some other course fish.

Heres a pic of the cat but it doesn't really show the width of the fish.

cat.jpg

I was down there fishing off shore from 9:30ish until the rain started fishing from shore. All I got was a goby but i saw a nice perch caught and 5 or 6 sheephead.

Guest Jeetmuck

Sounds like it was a good day down on the river. I knew I shoulda stayed closer to home this weekend. Congrats on the good day.

Nice job: EJ That is one nice catfish.Nice pic restoration. The post started with no photos but you said you would add one, good job. There are bigger ones in the river. Diift large dead shinners. 4-6 inch near bottom with heavy bells. Best in a boat. Can get a few in Queenston at night. Good fishing. Scottydog

Archived