Recent Fishing Woes

The Ketchican Kid

Have been out several times in the past few days or so and have tried Port dalhousie pier and kayaked up the 12 in search of the toothy critters. I tried throwing spoons and twisters for pike or bass and had a nightcrawler on a bell sinker (on bottom) at the end of the pier. I think my problem is my rig and bait off of the pier but i cannot understand why im not catching fish in the 12! Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm still new with getting back into fishing and am was having some of the trouble you are. Not to the same degree so much anymore, but still somewhat. It would be nice if some of the members more in the know were more helpful, but it seems to be a very secretive bunch at times. Not sure why some people belong to community forums but anyway that's not really the point. I found that my biggest problem was patience, I wasn't being patient enough. The other was technique, I needed some time to improve technique. I was on the 12 yesterday and mildly successful, I caught a smallmouth and a bullhead, my daughter caught a goby and two smallmouth. We went about 1pm and fished fairly close to the bank 4-10ft, in the shade and a back eddy. Keep plugging along and be patient, you'll get there.

Meatface

I'm still new with getting back into fishing and am was having some of the trouble you are. Not to the same degree so much anymore, but still somewhat. It would be nice if some of the members more in the know were more helpful, but it seems to be a very secretive bunch at times. Not sure why some people belong to community forums but anyway that's not really the point. I found that my biggest problem was patience, I wasn't being patient enough. The other was technique, I needed some time to improve technique. I was on the 12 yesterday and mildly successful, I caught a smallmouth and a bullhead, my daughter caught a goby and two smallmouth. We went about 1pm and fished fairly close to the bank 4-10ft, in the shade and a back eddy. Keep plugging along and be patient, you'll get there.

Meatface

Yeah, that horse has been beaten so much it came back to life.

Ketchican, you never mentioned what kind of setup you were using...rig and tackle. My suggestion is to try someplace not so pressured as Port pier. There are always too many people there. Not sure how mobile you are, but I would try the lower Niagara from the Whirpool to Pebbley Beach. There is always a mixed bag of fish. Pack light and just keep fishing along the trail. Its fun and you will catch a ton. I would recomend smoke coloured tubes with 1/4 to 3/8 oz heads. Spoons and jerk baits and white grubs. Live bait is always a good choice, just hard to keep alive in the hot weather unless you bring a cooler. Cool thing down at the whirlpool is you can catch carp and sheephead on lures and its a blast.

Tight lines.

I havent got many pike/muskie in the 12 up from martindale to the first set of rapids, im sure there is some, caught more by the qew at the mouth or in the pond. Spinners and spoons always work.

Archived