What Kind Of Setup Do You Use To Fish The Glen/pool?

Seanook

I have recently undergone a kind of philosophical metamorphasis, as far as my gear and technique are concerned. I have discovered the benefits of braided line and fluoro leaders as well as buying different rods for different purposes. I used to only own two rods. One med/light action and a heavy/med. I almost never concerned myself with what lb test I was using as long as it was 8-12lb mono sometimes 14-16. Generally I just picked up the rod and headed out the door with whatever was on my reel. Soft baits were something I had in my box but were more of a novelty than actually something I would use consistantly.

Since I started fishing the Pool and drop shotting on Erie for Bass, much has changed. Mostly due to watching a new fishing partner and fellow NFNer's approach to his line and gear. That has been a revelation of sorts, although this is just as far as Erie Bass are concerned and probably not near as challenging as shorefishing Steelhead in the River. I now use a lot of soft baits and am trying to co-ordinate my colours with the water clarity and sun/cloud cover. Doesn't entirely mean that I'm not using my old faithful spinners and spoons, just that I have realized the effectiveness of other kinds of baits for certain situations.

Well, for now, as far as the Pool/Glen are concerned I am still a little wishy washy on what gear and presentation to go with. I have had some luck in those two spots but nothing with any consistancy (I know, I know. Fishing and consistancy aren't exactly two words that go together). I just haven't found a comfort zone with my technique.

Generally my gut tells me to go with a heavier mono line and med/heavy rod, because you never know what kinda monster is gonna strike at any given moment. I would go with a braid-leader setup because of the general but not always clarity level but it's a bit of a rough ride down there. My next quandry is whether to use a steel leader if I'm using Mono. I HATE steel leaders but when the critters are toothy you will wish you had one.

I also alternate my approach from casting and reeling to bottom bouncing pretty regularily. Neither one of these has given me more success than the other. What I'm after generaly is the Trout and Salmon but my patience wears thin sometimes and doubt with my technique begins to creep in so most of my success has been with the Pike,Bass and Pickerel types. I had a couple Steelies and a Bow this year but nothing spectacular.

Basically what I'm saying is that I have a willingness to learn and try everything I can to maximize my chances. I am now more curious to see first hand what works and what doesn't. Most of my time spent fishing until the past few years was spent in a smaller body of water, on a boat and targeting a whole different kind of fish. Some of this River fishing can seem downright Alien to me. For now I'll just keep going down there, trying new setups and having marginal success. It feels as though I'm on the right track, I just have nothing to gauge it against.

Not asking for anyone's secret technique or favorite spot, just a little direction as I'm getting ready to gear up for the Salmon and really am not feeling like wasting too much time. The River is such a different animal than anywhere else I can think of that I have begun to believe that the Niagara Angler and His/Her technique is also.

Guest live2fish85

First off, about leaders. I never use any wire or steel. I always use Flouro. It is a lot less visible and holds up just fine to there teeth. For musky I use 100# to 130# flouro leaders. For pike I use 30#-40# flouro.

Remember fishing for trout in rivers they are very easily spooked by the line. I would use 10# to 15# braid and tie on a good leader of 8# flouro.

As for a rod I would go with a 9'6 or up for length with a medium action fast tip. This will give up what you need to bottom bounce or float fish. St. Croix Wild River is what I have and I love it but there are other good rods and even less money.

When the trout and salmon are in the river float fishing with Roe is probably your best bet, also streamers work well to. You can bottom bounce with those as well down there.

If you are going to target a certain fish setup for them. Never worry about a toothy fish hitting. If it happens oh well you may lose something, if you do setup up to prevent a bite off you will most likely not catch nearly as many of what you are targeting.

If your fishing the pool it's not the toothy fish you have to worry about....it's the toothy bottom that will eat up your gear.

I would suggest going to really light test braid with a fairly heavier flouro leader like Live2fish suggested. The thinner line will cut through the water better and allow you to get deeper. Flouro is also a good choice because it sinks.

Rods for spinning and spooning, I use a 7'6" to 8'6". It allows for casting distance and better control of casting and for fighting fish. I'm not a bottom bouncer or float guy, so I can't give any direction on that. I'm selling a casting rod that I used to use for salmon/trout for spooning (quick plug for my ad). Awesome rod, but I never salmon fish anymore...it's still bass season when the salmon run.

Ive always had success with Little Cleo's in Flourescent orange and brass, any size. Just remember the heavier spoons will get down in the current faster so it's nice to bring a variety of sizes. Also, Pete's house brand glow salmon spoons work well, even during the day.

Good luck and tight lines.

i tried a new light setup this spring for bottom bouncing and love it.

10'6 med-light noodle rod, 8lb fireline main line, 8lb fluro leader. You can feel the slightest pickup, every rock and feel the early stages of snags. I love the fireline.

Some may say that is too light although I had great success and didn't lose too many fish to break offs.

You really have to fight the fish with this setup.

I personally like a longer rod. I use a 13' Med fast rod with a 10lb main and 8lb lead. I like to run a long lead between 4-6' and a 8g slip float. I stack my shot at the swivel connecting my lead. This helps to get you down fast in the current. I like to run single beads pegged 3" above #10 hook. My second choice is sucker spawn immitations or streamers. ( thats my float setup )

I use 10' spinning rod, agian with 10lb main and 8lb lead for bottom bouncing. I run a 3 way swivel tied to my mainline with 6" dropper line off the second swivel eye connecting to

a 5/8 to 3/4 oz pencil weight. Then the leader connected to the 3rd eye, 3-4 ft. I either run egg patterns or roe bags. The only problem I have had with this setup is my reel is a 2500 and does not hold enough line....on a couple of occasions I almost got spooled...lol. The 2500 holds 140 yds of 8lb and Im running 10 on it, so Im only getting maybe 100-120 yds. In the Niagara that can go quick at times.

I use a 13'6 Rainshadow XST ( Float Rod ) A 13' Loomis GLX 2 power ( Float Rod ) Fenwick 10' ( spinning )

Archived