Pop Up Boilies

tinycarper

So it's not past three am in the morning, and ive just fisnished making my first batch of home made boilies. I've decided to try making my own boilies after doing much online research, i hope to at least catch one on this and don't care if its small cause i'll know that it was all my doing. It took much longer then i anticipated, and maybe its because it was my first time. For these boilies i used mesaca flower, wonder bread that i ran through food processor twice to make sure it was crummy enough, added vanilla extract, cinnamon, and ground nutmeg. Was gonna make a fruity one but chose to go the other route, why? Who knows, that may have been a mistake but oh well it's my first time and i have lots of fruit falvored things already in my fishing arsenal. Like i said as long as i catch one i will be very happy, i do plan on making two more batches tomorrow one being straberry/banana, and the other being a fish flavored one. Has anyone here ever made any of their own? How did it work out? The crazy thing I find and love about carp fishing is that you can always tweek and play with things, you dont need to stay with the main streem. I know the easy way is to just use sweet corn and chum like crazy but i wanted to add a personal touch, i've used store bought flavored corn's, boilies, jumbo corn's and various others with great success but i thought if i catch one on something i made then the gratification would be much greater. Does anyone have any tips for helping me make diffrent kinds? Anyhow its bed time, hope i have pics of jumbo's to show you's in the next few days. On a side note went out two nights ago and another great success, as i was able to land a nice ten ish pounder on plain corn. That is when my quest started as i was also reseaching various ways to make home made carp baits at the same time. Does it make it an addiction when you spend more time researching and tweeking equipment the actual fishing lol I always find myself watching you tube videos, playing with my tackle and thinking about the elusive carp. Anyhow time for this guy to get some rest, hope i get a few replies on this post. Hammercarp i know you will have some tips for me so get em coming !!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Hello tiny

I am sorry to say that my experience with boilies is very limited. I never fished them very much. Here is a recipe for a simple freezer bait boilie that I made and caught on. I used them in late fall in Hamilton Harbour.

Buy a small bag of store brand dog chow, any will do.

Take two cups and put them in a glass bowl with enough water to begin floating them

Zap in the microwave until they are mush.

Take two more cups and grind them into powder with a coffee grinder. ( Don't try a food processed as the dog chow is hard and will ruin the machine before you grind it fine enough)

Wait until the cooked dog chow is just cool enough to handle without burning your hands and mix in the ground dog chow.

Roll into balls and let dry over night.

Bag them and put them in the freezer.

I used them after the water got cold so that the cats ( bullheads ) wouldn't be as much trouble.

I caught on them.

There are about a Bazillion recipes out there for boilies and just about every conceivable thing has been put in them from pigeon chit to exotic food stuffs from around the planet. It can be a lot of fun making your own.

I can help you with this tiny........I have made a lot of boilies............many many batches up to 30 pounds and have videos on exactly what your talking about....................first note.......congrats on thinking out side of the box...........though it easy to catch carps on traditional methods..........thinking outside of the box is both gratifying and can put some very large fish on the mat if executed right. below is my video of how to make boilies.........nothing new really but a few tips that will make things easier! Enjoy!

Here is a basic recipe for boilies that will be the consistency of store bought bolies - you can then add seeds like millet, nyger, hemp to add additional crunch factor........flavours like vanilla are good and oils are very helpful. You can also add fish meal, belecan (which is great) and others to add additional protein and pulling power.......once the fish are to them, they wont stop as the reward is now far higher than the risk............which is key in banking fish.......once the fish would rather take a chance to get a free meal...........your in!

1/1/1 - semolina, soy flour, corn meal

If you email pm me with your email address I will forward you an excel sheet with a great recipe that is very low cost - you can make 30 pounds of boilies for around 40 dollars.... far chearper than the over 120 you would pay to buy the store bought plust you know exactly went into them........there are no regulations for store boughts so you NEVER know what is in them.........

this video I did has received over 34 thousand views with the majority coming from UK, Germany and other Europeans

[media=]

[/media]

something I should add is that pop up boilies and boilies are two different things............pop ups are meant to "lift" or float........boilies in my video are simply bottom baits..........you would then add a pop up to lift it off the bottom. This is to keep baits out of the weeds or add visual to a presentation over a bed of baits..........as the popped up one will likely be the first to be taken. Additionally popped up baits have a tendancy to wave under water with the movement of the water........they have a natural presentation to them and at times have a tendancy to hook larger fish since large fish associate un-natural presentations with danger..............the key to using a pop up is to add a split shot on the hook link to anchor the bait down...........this will keep the bait just off bottom..........with out a split shot the bait will be 6 inches off bottom if your using a popup that is very boyant..........

The last half of this video fully explains how this works........with real nice presentations on how they sit under water..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe_iVNM2yvQ

• 6 months later...

Wow BCLT I just watched this video the other day on youtube trying to find a recipe myself. what a small world . what is your take on the blood worm flavouring for boilies and also would it go well to use bloodworm pellets and pva bags with them. Cheers

Chris

Archived