Baptiste Lake

Seanook

I was thinking of taking the Family to an old spot on Baptiste that I used to frequent. When I used to go there, there were decent populations of Bass, Pickerel and the odd Muskie.

Apparrently there have been some changes. First of all I am hearing from a few different sources that Pike was introduced, either accidently or by consequence of other waterways being opened up, I don't know. Secondly I have also heard rumbles about the effects of mid 20th century Uranium mining beginning to show up in tests in fish meat.

There were never any Pike that I remember of in Baptiste, so if this is true is must have begun in the last decade or so. There are large portions of the lake that are perfectly suited for Pike so I imagine they would flourish.

I have a spot there that is perfect for shore lunch and would love to take the kids out and have a nice fish fry but if the rumors about contamination are true I suppose I will have to re-think that one.

Anybody have any first or second hand knowledge of these rumors/facts, please lemme know.

I go there every year with my dad and brother and have for the last ~28 years. The pike population has been on the rise in the last 10-15 years and has done a number on the bass fishing.

No clue about the contamination tho and I rarely eat bass.

Pm me if you have any other questions, I won't mention any spots on here.

We used to go to forest view lodge and either tent or trailer but in the last 15 or so we have a spot on crown land we boat into every year.

Nice. lots of beautiful Island spots around the area there. Kinda what I was thinking for myself to do also. Are the Bears acting wierd this year with the weather being all crazy.

Archived