Mighty Great Lakes.. Caution..

Bryan

I have been seeing post about Paddle'n out into Lake Ontario.. Just want to remind everyone to be SAFE, SMART, and always AWARE..

http://www.torontosu...in-lake-ontario

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/08/05/teen-dies-in-lake-ontario-mishap

Anything can happen... and quickly..

BE SAFE...

I used to live on my boat in Port Credit Marina. My Canoe was there for when I wanted to paddle the nearby Credit. My Brother would stop by and beg me to take the canoe out when I wasn't around to drive it over to the river. His idea was that he would paddle it out past the breakers and swing around into the river. I took him for a ride on the houseboat to show him how quickly the conditions change on a big lake with no breakers. He seemed to understand then....."Seemed". One weekend while I was away he thought he would try it anyway. He sunk my canoe!......Within 5 minutes of being past the breaker he capsized it. He tried to save the canoe but it almost pulled him and a friend under. The waves were so violent that if there hadn't been LP's floating near by they would've been goners. Even then, they were smashed on the rocks pretty good. This was apparrently a fairly calm day and the waves did not look all that bad from the Marina. My canoe eventually washed up on the rocks, Most of it did anyway!

Guest live2fish85

I have took the canoe out fairly far on Lake Erie. It truely is a matter of using your brains and making sure the weather is good and also knowing how to properly canoe and steer yourself through any waves. I also know some one who goes out on Lake Ontario in his kayak and he goes a fair distance. I have seen him out with the early season trollers and the fall trollers. It really comes down to having a brain and not going out when there is a chop.

I have took the canoe out fairly far on Lake Erie. It truely is a matter of using your brains and making sure the weather is good and also knowing how to properly canoe and steer yourself through any waves. I also know some one who goes out on Lake Ontario in his kayak and he goes a fair distance. I have seen him out with the early season trollers and the fall trollers. It really comes down to having a brain and not going out when there is a chop.

I could see a yak on Lake O easily but a canoe is just too slow and sits too high. Lake Erie has it's moments of calm enough that I could see it being no problem, as long as you watch the wind. Maybe it's just me but living on Lake O for as long as I did ....I just wouldn't trust it in a canoe. At least not in the GTA area where the Breakers are there for just that purpose. The Bay of Quinte area is a different story as Port D may also be (I have no experience in Port).

I could see a yak on Lake O easily but a canoe is just too slow and sits too high.

Y'know I'd suggest you actually learn about the capabilities of canoes & kayaks before you tell others what is safe & what isn't.

So far this week I've landed 22 salmon & trout out of my canoe, was out in that Sunday blow that had stinkpotters wallowing back to harbour, was out again this evening. Still not dead yet.

Should somebody run out, buy a canoe and go paddle Lady O tomorrow? Ofcourse not, and neither should a n00b go out in a 18' tinner the day after they get their boater's card either, but once you actually learn & are comfortable in a small canoe it's safer than being in any tinner. Is it comfortable? Not for everybody, but the launch & fuel bills are easier to manage. And I like the quiet of bobbing around out there.

CanoeBronteSunrise.jpg

Guest live2fish85

Also Lake Erie is alot worst to be out in a canoe if it picks up as it doesn't take much to pick up or get big. Also the waves white cap alot faster and come from all directions.

It truely is your skill level and brain that are key for it. As an idiot won't check weather or will push it. A skilled person won't chance it but if it comes to it k.owing what to do will save you.

First of all, I'm well aware of the capabillities of both canoes and Yaks. I've owned and used both many times and an experienced paddler already knows to use caution on the great lakes so I doubt that they would be ignorant enough not to know the conditions. Second of all I clearly pointed out that I had little experience in certain areas and was writing only about mine. Third of all I don't remember saying anything about feeling more comfortable in a tinnie. If you get your ass out there far enough and the weather changes suddenly (because we all know how exact a science meteorology is :s)then you are screwed ...obviously. I was only preaching caution and common sense. But if you feel like encouraging a mass pilgramage accross the Lake then be my guest Jaque Cartier but I thought this was a thread about using caution. By the way, where were you paddling?

Any water craft is OK for the Great Lakes, its not the water craft that is often the issue, its more the operatoer that is the issue, to discourage someone from Canoeing or kyaking in the lakes around here is jumping the gun, its OK to advise that as long as the current conditions and future outlook support your journy go ahead, the forcast is accuate enouph to see if there is a chance at bad weather or not. Its all about being prepared, and gaining experience. Heck I have been in lake Erie in a paddle boat, floating couches and a rubber dingy, I snorkle out several hundred feet with no floaty, I check the weather right now and the forcast and don't go unless it 100% clear, and I don't wanter into waters without knowing something about the area first.

lol http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2012/08/09/prank-lands-teen-in-hot-water?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Archived