Steelhead Flies

Guest live2fish85

Guest live2fish85

Hey there all. I am just wondering if any fly fisherman can give me some help with Steelhead flies.

I have been fly fishing for maybe two months, all I have been targeting is pike and bass and I can't wait for steelhead. I have done some research and found some info but thought you guys could offer better advice.

I am looking for good flies to concentrate on rather then some that are usless for around here.

Colours would be greatly appreciated but I don't want to ask of everything. PMs are good as well.

Thanks

Chris

This will be my first year aswell, and ill be trying them out on the lower grand to see how she goes, so far in my research is pink wooly buggers and pinkish purple streamers, i guess pink is a hot colour theb? It'll be interesting to see what expiernced steelheaders have to say :)

Guest live2fish85

Yea I have read about the wolly buggers and san juan worm or what ever its called lol.

I am stocked to get some steel. I am sure I know you from another forum. Shasta?

I am out towards the grand alot as my parents live on Erie. We will have to get out together and do some fly fishing on the grand and Erie for smallies. Then if its calm we can get out on the boat and drop shot some smallies.

Shasta, Yup thats me haha ! I live in york basically on the river and started fly fishing this may for bass on the grand an now I'm hooked haha already got spots marked where I think might hold steelhead in 2 months time.. We'll have to get out and fish for steelhead cause 2 unexpiernced steelheading brains are better then one haha

Guest live2fish85

Lol I know some spots on the grand where we can get some. I cross the bridge in York all the time to get to my parents. I know the area well.

I am suprised you haven't tried pike on the fly, there are lots close to you. PM and I can tell you where if you would like.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd concentrate on nymphing as opposed to swinging streamers, though my experience w steelhead is limited. Pattern doesn't matter as much as having it heavily weighted and keeping it drifting just above bottom. I find indicator nymphing to be difficult, extremely repetitive, dull, and graceless, but sometimes that's what it takes if you want some fish slime on your hands. For an enjoyable morning, intersperse the more pleasant cast and step streamer swinging with a half hour of nymphing nice seams or the heads of pools. Frustrating stuff, as timing is everything... either the fish are there, or they aren't.

Guest live2fish85

Thanks Icehut, I have tied a bunch of nymph patterns and colours as well as wolly buggers and other streamer styles.

With the research I have done I think I am going to atart with streamers and styles like that for the fall run when they start and change to nymphs closer to spring.

• 4 weeks later...

Being a maritimer, I can tell you that there are a large number of Atlantic Salmon patterns that will do well on steelhead. Look for patterns like the Black Ghost, Undertaker, Ally's Shrimp, Bombers and of course the ever-popular muddler minnow.

Each river it seems has patterns that work way better. I been steel heading the Niagara and port D for 35 years now and the patterns that work here may not catch a fish in another river and visa versa. Be well equipped with steelie flies and your bound to get steel ! A good selection makes a good well prepared steelheader. I have my go to patterns that work on all the rivers I fish. Niagara. Saugeen. Bighead. Beaver. Ganny to ne just a few. It is very important to match the hatch and have flies that are balanced and that comes with experience

Archived