Mountsberg

Seanook

I was gonna hit up Mountsberg Cons area on Saturday but I have been hearing that the water level has been so low that it might be more trouble than it's worth. Got a canoe and I know a deeper spot that usually holds some decent size pike. Anyone have any recent experience there?

went there early june not sure exactly, only got into small pike. The weeds then were pretty bad then, spinner baits worked and cranks. But I'd bet that a crankbait wouldn't come back with 3lbs of salad. If I'd go now I'd stick to top water walk the dog, spinnerbait, or top water live target frogs. There's fish there for sure but the weeds are going to be a rediculass.

I went there for bass opener. Water level was down quite a bit. We tried to get to the inlet creek but it wasn't happening. There were more weeds than water. A guy from work went there not too long ago, said that the water was even lower. Apparently where the boat launch is, there is now a parking lot. There were a hell of a lot of stumps exposed when I was there, I can't imagine what it'd be like now. The bass population has really taken a hit since the pike were introduced. I talked to the superintendant of the park he said if you catch any pike, keep them.

That being said, I've seen some nice bass and pike come out of there. Spinners worked the best for me when I've been there. I've tried Senkos and topwaters with nary a bit of interest. Not saying they won't work, just that when I've used them nothing happened. I don't know what it'll be like now though with the water level so low.

Yeah none of this really surprises me to be truthfull. I'm gonna try a weedless wacky rig (for the first time) and a bunch of spinners. If the levels are down I'm hoping the fish are bunched up in a few of the deeper sections. Isn't it a strict catch and release policy only? There used to be some decent sized Pike in there.

Archived