In The Market For A Pair Of Down Riggers And Want Input

BrendanMitchell

Cannons would probably be my first choice, one of the fastest retrieval rates and capacity for 20lb balls but they do have a decent price tag attached. Best rigger for an affordable price would probably be walker pro tournaments which most places sell for 449-499 its just a challenge to find a store that has any in stock, i think we are down to our last couple at Grimsby Tackle. Most of the other solid riggers on the market are 500+ like scottys and big jon but sometimes you can snag a good deal online. Check out the buy and sell section on the spoonpullers board and you might get lucky. Hope this helps ya.

My new scottys are superior to any other i have used & also canadian made.I believe they are also the only make that has a free fall so it saves your battery the wear & tear.Check the specs because i thought mine were one of the fastest but maybe not,the scottys have a auto stop which lets you hit the button & then fight the fish without worrying about the rigger.there will be great deals before next summer on used one's as the charter boats often upgrade in the spring.

Show me a scotty with 250ft per minute retrieve! On top of that, they look like briggs and stratton lawnmowers sitting on the boat. They make a good product, but I still don't understand the thinking behind the design and layout of them. They take up about 4 square feet each.

I really dont find they take up any more room,they look a bit bigger because of the black sealed box that keeps it all dry & clean.

Show me a scotty with 250ft per minute retrieve! On top of that, they look like briggs and stratton lawnmowers sitting on the boat. They make a good product, but I still don't understand the thinking behind the design and layout of them. They take up about 4 square feet each.

Kevin come on by I will show you your 4 square feet bring a tape :)

You should be able to find some decent riggers around on e-bay Brendan....why did,nt you buy mine I had for sale? They are long gone now, but I had a set of walkers with adjustable 4' arms and swivel base. I let them go for $450 and threw in several flashers and releases. To start out, anything affordable, I like the cannon's and I also have used big jons as well...both work fine. Walkers are ok as well...Go with the value is what I would do...good luck finding them now though...maybe a month from now or early spring. I always liked the walkers and big jons...just because I get the motors for free should they fail...lol.

Archived