Fall Streamer Tactics?

Dogman

So I've never fly fished for fall trout and I could use a little input on presentation. I've been having a rough go so far at the end of the summer getting more skunks than anything else (fishing for bass mainly) and I'm pretty sure it is my presentation (or lack there of). Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

Ahhhh... my favorite topic.

Fall is breeding season for brown trout, they're on the move, looking for spawning gravel, they're aggressive, and they're hungry.

Take your favorite 5 wt or thereabouts flyrod to your favorite brown trout river. Tie about 8' of 6lb mono onto your fly line. (Cut back if you have problems with it turning over.) Tie on a streamer that more or less imitates the local baitfish. Note that it doesn't have to be big, but a very lean profile, eyes, some flash, and a bit of weight are good things. I like bucktail streamers, in brown, olive, white belly, but pattern matters little. Catch a few minnows and inspect them. Notice what's there, and what they're missing... there isn't actually a whole lot to your average minnow! The average streamer fly is far too big and bulky. While you're out catching minnows, notice how a frightened minnow moves. Think about how a sick or injured minnow might move.

Around dawn or dusk, this time of year, browns can be found in some unusual places. They will sidle out of their deep holes into some surprisingly shallow, completely unprotected riffles, that one would normally ignore and wade quickly through. They are on the feed, and they are not screwing around. Fish downstream, moving reasonably quickly yet trying to be stealthy. Pitch your streamer to the far shore. Right onto the gravel is fine. Make it splat. Do not be delicate with the landing. Drag that sumbitch back as fast as you can pull it. Fast, jerky strips. Imitating a scared baitfish. Do not think that you can pull it too fast! A big brown trout is the apex predator, and there is nothing in water that can move faster than him. (You will believe this when you see what a big brown can do to a freshly stocked 10" fish on the Grand.) One or two casts max to each good spot, then move. Cast, move, cast, move. Cover ground, don't hang around. Keep your hook sharp. Keep an eye on your tippet, watch for fraying. Expect to get a lot more hits than fish in hand... watch the fly like a hawk and you'll see fish swirling behind it, missing it. Remember where the big ones are and visit them again. Be prepared to fight a very large fish. Keep your line tight and slack under control. Stay aware of your surroundings, and have your drag adjusted correctly, so when something over 20" hammers your fly, you're prepared.

Cloudy day, bad weather, cool temps are your friend. Direct sun is the end of the fun.

Happy fishing.

Guest live2fish85

Good topic Rob.

I was at a spot this morning at about 4:30am casting for some salmon off a pier and had no luck but a massive mess in the line lol. I usually have a another rod but decided to bring the fly rod. Theres a small creek that trout and salmon run up and holds bass in there. I decided to throw a morrish mouse on that I tied for bass and pike. After about 10 cast I get a beauty smash it. I was completly blown away as I was fighting a nice brown. I think it was just in really early as it was at the mouth and was fairly sliver still with a bit of colour. It was probably 6-7 lbs and was a blast for the minute or so I faught it. Then it god off lol. I have caught lots of browns and this was the best fight by far. Made my 12.5lbs brown seem boring.

I am in the same spot looking for help on this. I have read a ton and can't wait till they are in, I will be fishing all winter if I can.

I got about a 100 flies of different patterns ready for my trout season with the fly.

Thanks for the input guys! Keep it coming!

Icehut I really appreciate the detail as a newbie to this I need as much help as I can get.

Live2fish85 I'm the same way at the moment. I see something and I tie like 5 of them just in case. I can't wait to hook into one.

Fall brown trout fishing is perfect for new flyfishers, there's no fuss, no muss. Bang that fly out and keep moving. Cover lots and lots of ground, don't get hung up fishing one spot. Pitch that fly right next to the lumber, under overhangs, never be afraid to lose your fly. Put a cast out before you wade through any water, even stuff that looks like it'd never hold a fish. And keep your hook sharp and watch out for frayed tippet. Heavy, short tippets are ok, especially if there's some color in the water. A sink tip line can be useful if you're working deep water, or even a full sinker, although the normal WF floating line, with some weight on the fly, is usually fine. That's about it. Happy fishing.

Where is everyone's favourite brown trout stream? I fish whitemans and the grand alot but have never hooked into a brown.

I've got nothing, but the lower Niagara is good in the fall so I am told. If I get into any I'll let you know.

Don't forget piers for migrating Great Lakes browns, as they're fall spawners. There are ministry lists of brown trout waters out there, some work with google will turn up info. You won't find anybody willing to give up their favorite sekret spots.

Archived