Boat Already On The Welland River..what Would You Do?

canadianfcat

what part of the river exactly?? I've been getting more bass on topwater than anything else (live target frog), weeds are in thick so throwing cranks is frustrating unless you go deep, live minnows on the drop shot seem to be working good for me as well, spinnerbaits and top water might be your best bet

I don't fish that part of the river but should be the same, On the edges you'll see green "slop" where lures can't penetrate the surface look for some with some sort of structure like a fallen tree, throw the live target kropper frog basically on the shore (its completely weedless) and just reel it in at a steady pace, always triggers strikes, i suggest braid for this. If no braid than yes work lily pads. hope it works out for ya, I've had the best bass season on the river thanks to this lure!! theres some monsters in there, good luck

Also been using white tubes jigging around in the weeds for pike

Thanks Ricky!!

I've got all that stuff in my box just waiting to get wet.

What part of the Welland do you fish?...Have boat will travel!

We usually head to Weber Rd. area or St. Charles bridge area...Is it better towards Wellandport?

I mainly fish the river behind the courthouse (welland) that stretch, yea I got a boat its just a 12' with yamaha 9.9 4 stroke. haven't fished wellandport way yet, I'm trying to learn the river as much as possible so I stick to one portion of her to get a better education on the fish patterning throughout it

hey ricky33 do you think fishing from shore behind the courthouse and along that part using topwater frogs will work? I do not have any live target ones just some weedless topwater frogs don't know the name of them

Yes should be fine, and you'll obviously see the green "slop" just work all angles along that shoreline, try to throw the lure just out side on the open water and bring it in to ya, a lot of fish will sit right there on that edge, Would recommend a heavy braid tho, once that fish takes the bait under the slop its a matter of fighting the thick stuff, if using mono a break off is highly possible. Good luck!!

from shore your only option is just down from the bridge where the river bends, that's mainly the only open shore spot, theres a dock if you go into merit island. My dad and I were out 2nite and switched to buzzbaits and they produced some fish

Archived