Algonquin Agaaaaaaain

YakFisher

I hope I get into the big Brook trout. I've only caught little ones in small streams, which is still fun, but I love a big bend in my fly rod.

I'll be on opeongo lake, south end cause I don't want to paddle too far or pay the $80 for the water taxi.

Anyone Ever tried that lake? Any tips or spots to help me out? If I don't find the trout, I'll just fish for perch and smallies.

Leaving around 3 ish,so don't dilly dally with the tips. Lol.

I was camping on mew lake and we went out in a canoe and I was just jigging over the side of the boat for perch and rock bass then BAM!! A little smallie took my jig and i didnt even have time to set the hook before he was leaping out of the water like some circus performer!! I really wanted to catch some brookies but i didnt know what lure to use :/

im home. heres the funny part. I forgot my camera. oh well. nothing special to have snapped anyways. I went to my secret brookie stream on day 1 and caught a bunch (only kept 1 for dinner) she was spawning and didnt taste as good as i remember.

then i went out on the lake and started throwing stuff toward the shore. only caught little small mouths. day 1, i think i got 10 fish. day two started gorgeous. overcast, no breeze at all, and very comfortable, so out i went and only was able to get 1. then the rain came and OMFG did it ever rain. I have never seen it rain so hard for so long, 6 hours of straight downpour it felt like. so i just hunkered down in the tent. and watched a movie on my ipod.

i learned a pretty valuable lesson too. DO NOT EVER EAT IN THE TENT, EVER. lol

so i didnt store any food in the tent, only ate, then put it back up the tree. I just left a little bottle of booze. i was woken up early the next morning to hear a scratching and tearing at my tent wall. i was nervous cause I didnt know what it was. I grabbed my camp knife and started yelling at it to go away. i mustered up the courage to look out the door and saw the biggest friggen........

raccoon. little bastard tore a small hole in my tent, just enough to stick his hand through and he grabbed my bottle of makers mark that I had put into a soft plastic bottle. he was going to town on it, when i scared him away. little jerk

so i thought my racoon problems were over. nope. he remembered, so later that evening while I was out fishing he had come back and ripped an even bigger hole in my tent, enough for him to crawl through and he started rummaging through my tent, ugh. I found him later up te tree that i hung my food from, he was trying to reach it from the trunk, but couldnt quite get to it. so i yelled at him some more and he buggered off.

i definitely learned a big lesson.

not a bad trip over-all. but definitely not my best time up there

Years ago we we hunting near Kingscott Lake in the southern tip of Algonquin - a legacy concession allowed hunting within one mile of existing cabins after that area was annexed for the park.

We had wolves chasing and killing deer a few hundred yards from the cabin and saw a few bears in the area but our biggest problem was with raccoons.

Just about every night we could hear the buggers rummaging around outside even though we had everything in sealed containers - even the garbage.

The last night we were there we heard one out on the porch. We weren't concerned until we heard a crunch followed by a "psstshhhh" sound.

IT WAS THE RACCOON TAKING OUR LAST BEER !!!!

Needless to say there was amad scramble to get flashlights and the .22 rifle to defend this essential neccessity of life in the great outdoors but to no avail - the beer was gone - along with the culprit.

To add insult to injury, to this day I swear I heard a raccoonish giggle off in the dark followed by a belch.

I hate raccoons !

Years ago we we hunting near Kingscott Lake in the southern tip of Algonquin - a legacy concession allowed hunting within one mile of existing cabins after that area was annexed for the park.

We had wolves chasing and killing deer a few hundred yards from the cabin and saw a few bears in the area but our biggest problem was with raccoons.

Just about every night we could hear the buggers rummaging around outside even though we had everything in sealed containers - even the garbage.

The last night we were there we heard one out on the porch. We weren't concerned until we heard a crunch followed by a "psstshhhh" sound.

IT WAS THE RACCOON TAKING OUR LAST BEER !!!!

Needless to say there was amad scramble to get flashlights and the .22 rifle to defend this essential neccessity of life in the great outdoors but to no avail - the beer was gone - along with the culprit.

To add insult to injury, to this day I swear I heard a raccoonish giggle off in the dark followed by a belch.

I hate raccoons !

The drunks of the animal kingdom. Lol

Great story Yakfisher. Al and I are heading up to the park this Sunday for a week of fishing and filming. Hopefully we'll get some good fishing also without the pesky visitors!

If you are on opeongo and want to know my secret brookie spot, send me a message.

Archived