Fly Fishing Reel Question?

Davidp16

Hello there i got a question about this new reel i just purchased online and i dont know much about it and wondering if anyone could tell me about it. It is called

-BF1000 Aluminium Fly Fishing Reel-

could not upload a picture because did not know how to

Chow :)

I'd suggest that you don't worry too much about it. The reel isn't all that important in fly fishing; it's basically just there for line storage. All I look for is durability (fewer plastic bits), and lack of flash. It's not a bad idea to have a decent smooth drag, and of course if you're pursuing large fish, or saltwater fish, the reel becomes very important, but the average angler is seldom going to see his backing.

For most fly fishing, the reel is indeed just storage. If you're planning on using it for big water/big fish, you do want a sturdy reel with good capacity and an effective drag. Your BF1000 reel is fine for small streams full of 8-10 inch brookies or the average smallmouth. A big carp, any trout over 5 lbs and pretty well any salmon can spool you and/or destroy your reel. That doesn't mean you have to break the bank to get a good reel (although you could). Pfleuger and Hardy both make excellent and affordable reels. My Pfleuger 1912 will stand up to pretty well anything you're likely to hook into in fresh water, and will serve well in the salt as well. It retails for around $150.00: maybe a bit out of range for some folks, but well worth the $$.

• 1 month later...

If you are going to be fighting fish that are able to pull your line quick, like steelhead salmon and so on you will want to get at decent reel.

If you are spending around 150 I would hands down go with the Lamson Konic. It has a great seal Conical drag.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived