Steelhead=1 Me=0

The_Husky_Jerk

Went out to Whiteman's Creek outside Paris for a few hours on Saturday. Saw 4 or 5 gorgeous steelhead. Went 0/1 on the day. Still on a quest to land my first steelhead on the fly.

I have a question about fishing egg patterns on smaller water. I had no problem drifting the fly through faster moving water, with a small split shot on the line. Flowed well, about a foot off the creek bottom. BUT there was a few occasions where I could see a fish sitting in a very idle slow moving stretch of water. I would take a deep breath, not panic, lol and cast my fly a few feet ahead of the fish. Because of the slow water, My egg would just slowly drop to the bottom and sit there, because of lack of moving water. So I would try to bring some life to the fly but it would spook the fish. How would you guys handle that situation? How do you drift a fly if there is no drift? Am I making any sense? :dunno:

This trib is currently well below summer low flows and is on a low water response. I would encourage all anglers to avoid this area until the flows are up more.

http://www.grandriver.ca/index/document.cfm?Sec=8&Sub1=0&sub2=0

In regards to your question. There isn't much you can do except do a straight 90 degree presentation. Reduce the length from fly to indicator to be slightly less than the depth of the water and try to feed the line down from above. You will only get a couple shots at this before the fish spooks. My experience is that fish sitting in these lies are not eating anyway and your time may be better spent fishing to fish in feeding lanes. Hope that helps.

Try tying up an eggsucking leech. Basically a black Wooly Bugger with a red, orange or pink head. I've found that they work well often when all else fails, even if the fish aren't spawning. I'll make mine with a head of polar ice dubbing rather than yarn to add a bit of flash.

• 1 month later...

Handheld is correct. That fish isn't eating and is probably at rest. Ultimately, a light presentation is best but you have to dead on with the cast.

Archived