35 Lb Salmon

YakFisher

Caught my first salmon today at Bronte creek. There were a dozen other anglers close by but I couldn't get anyone close enough to take a picture.

Best fight I've ever had, lasted 20 minutes.

Had 3 others on, but couldn't land them, my fly rod doesn't have enough back bone to drag them onto shore.

Saw a couple browns and one rainbow too. Couldn't get them to take my egg imitation though.

Yeah, drifting a single yarn ball that I found at the dollar store with a split shot then an indicator about a foot or so up.

I found I did better when I let the ball sit downstream motionless,with my line tight. I could detect strikes much better.

I realized that I need a bigger/better reel to get these pigs in though, my little trout reel from the 1960s just isn't cutting it.

Ps. .I didn't weigh the fish, just guessing, one guy that saw me lift it said it was way over 30 lbs.

Using an indicator is just like a bobber,if it hesitates,set the hook, if it moves at all in a way that isn't expected, set the damn hook. Lol. Make sure to get a sliding indicator, so you can change the depth on the fly easily. I use these http://m.orvis.com/orvis/product/detail.do?itemId=28RT74475

Love them

No, the one female was foul hooked in the dorsal fin and I couldn't turn her, she would just go back and forth in her pool, and I couldn't pull her onto shore and she broke. The other male was huge too, but got himself all rolled up in line when he jumped repeatedly and broke off shortly after. Third was similar too. Still had a blast and really hurry my thumb whenthe one fish ran and my reel handle smashed me. Lol

If you want to catch mudsharks out of the yak now is the time before it gets too cold. The bay infront of Hamilton Pier & Port Dalhousie is stacked with fish that aren't going anywhere.

The half dead fish are nothing like what they were even a few weeks ago, but they're still fun to pull you around for an afternoon, and there's the odd trout swimming around shallow now.

Archived