Out On A Limb! Carpin Style!

BCLT

Well as I said in the last thread, I went to do a 30 hour on a lake that practically no one fishes carp in. To set it straight, when we talked of carp to any of the locals, they all said "what the hell do you want with carp!" - It was hard to be polite to say the least!

Regardless, it was a tough venue with a max depth of 14 and a mean of 7. I had a depth map or "topographic" as some call it and I studied it for several days prior to fishing, watching the winds to figure out a pattern that could put us onto some fish.

2-1.jpg

The venue in the morning......sadly no overnightering here :(

We all met up at around 4 am and did a little scouting since we had never been to the venue. We all agreed on a sunken railroad line stretching out into the lake. Some of us set up one side the track, others on the other.

1-2.jpg

The carpmobile overpacked!

I chose to take the deeper water that stretched out some water flowing through two islands assuming that the direction of the wind would be pushing food items into my swim and fish would be gathering there. The opposite side was rather shallow and the water was kicked up pretty badly.

I felt confident in my choice and began spodding up the swim with K1 Liquid Sweet Corn flavoured maize....yes it sounds wierd but its generic cattle corn, flavoured with liquid sweet corn. I fished a KD rig on a size 6 hook and three kernels of the same corn as spodded. I also fished a K1 Pineapple boilie and both produced fish.

Sadly only two fish were landed, and everyone else blanked hard. But we ate like kings having racks of ribs, lobster tails, salads, pancakes, bacon and eggs......it was a real treat to eat such nice food and share a bank with some true gentleman!

6.jpg

9.jpg

Rice-lake-21-8.jpg

Rice-Lake-17.jpg

18.jpg

13.jpg

When I first saw the pictures in the earlier posts, I thought it looked familiar - Harwood area on Rice Lake. Been going up to Rice Lake for 44 years. Seen some monster carp there. Didn't fish too often for them as we were up there for other species and I can catch a lot of carp locally. Good to see pictures of the area and excellent post and video.

Archived