New To The Float

MasterSkunk

Bring on the advice, anything you can share, setups, cast techniques, best lines to use, places to get started, I want anything you can give me as this is so new to me. I have been reading and watching for over a year and now it's time to get out there and smash some fish, in a good way. Feel free to pm or post here I need what you got and that's experience and advice.

Thank you in advance.

I'll be watching this one. I've just picked up an 11ft float rod and some floats. I'll be running suffix braid as my mainline then tying a swivel to 10lb floro for my split shot then swivel to leader and hook. Haven't tried yet but I'm itching to get out. I'll be tying up a few weight lines and leaders so when I do get out I can hopefully spend more time in the water then tying.

The one tip I've picked up is to spend time at home figuring out how much split shot you need to get your given float to sit vertical and neutrally boyant. Depending on the water and current different float weight is required so pre tie weight lines to go with the given float. We know that we'll lose tackle. It's a given. No point losing fish cause we are standing on the bank tying up a rig.

If you already have a float rod then your already on your way. I would say the single most important thing to do is learning to cast...for me I am unorthodoxed but I manage noe the less. You want to have good hooks as well. Not the cheap stuff. I have also found that my preference is slip floats over pinned floats. I like Drennons myself...reason I prefer them is I get less line twist because my line is free to turn inside the float. I can still keep it pinned at any depth by raising my shot up against the bottom of the float. Your bait depending on what that might be needs to be bouncing bottom...if not, your not going to catch fish. A florocarbon leader is a must.....and I dont know what type of rod you have or the length but most people run a #6lb -8lb leader with either a 8lb or 10lb main line. Some run lighter leaders than that....again it depends on your rod and setup. There is plenty of reading you can do online and youtube videos of all the types of rigs. I always keep myself open to new ideas and watch what works for other people. Another important thing is to keep your line off the water in direct contact to your float....if your line is drifting and swirling with your float and you do get a hit your going to miss setting the hook. Oh and the other important thing is to post your secret spots here for everyone....lol. Have fun out there....and forget about the little things....put in your time, and you,ll get the hang of it. Dont expect to learn in a day....that wont happen.

I'll be watching this one. I've just picked up an 11ft float rod and some floats. I'll be running suffix braid as my mainline then tying a swivel to 10lb floro for my split shot then swivel to leader and hook. Haven't tried yet but I'm itching to get out. I'll be tying up a few weight lines and leaders so when I do get out I can hopefully spend more time in the water then tying.

The one tip I've picked up is to spend time at home figuring out how much split shot you need to get your given float to sit vertical and neutrally boyant. Depending on the water and current different float weight is required so pre tie weight lines to go with the given float. We know that we'll lose tackle. It's a given. No point losing fish cause we are standing on the bank tying up a rig.

Just a great tip here I figured out the other day. SAVE YOUR TOILET PAPER ROLLS!!! I saved 3 or 4 of them, tied up full leader and weight lines and just wrapped them around the roll. That way they are ready to go when you need them.

Archived