Fly Tying Question

chasin_musky

Hey all. I have a question for the fly tiers, I am wondering what you think is the best head cement?

I always use Uni-Lak head cement.

Also there is a glue like liquid that you use an UV light to dry it. Any one know where to get it in the Hamilton area?

Thanks all.

I use Pro-Lak, it's just a really thinned out version of Uni-Lak, it dosn't dry up like Uni-lak and absorbs into the tread and drys really quick. I seem to throw out bottles of Uni-lak if I don't use it for a few months or it gets to thick or I need a pair of pliers to get the crap open.

I don't have a problem with my Uni-Lak getting to thick or anything. I also find it absorbs into the threads nicely. I put it into a special applicator which maybe keeps it from thickening. I did have that problem with Wapsi head cement though.

If its head cement you want then hard as hull is a great application. For UV brightning I use a simple UV spray found at most retailers that carry crank baits. It will turn any product into a glowing UV machine.

I don't recall the name of the UV curing epoxy but it is advertised in several fly-tying magazines. It does make nice bodies for ultra-realistic patterns. If you really want to turn things up, try twisting 2 strands of crystal-flash together and using that as tinsel.

Found it! The product is "Bug-Bond." Very good for tying translucent shrimp or squid bodies on salt-water flies. I've seen it used for baitfish imitations as well. If you find it and try it for nymphs, be sure to let us know how it works.

Archived