Sink Tip Tips?

Dogman

Are most of you guys that fish the pool and the lower on the fly using sink tips? If so what sink rate is typical? If not are you adding weight with split shot or just heavy weighted flies?

I found in the upper the other day with the fast moving water that I think a sink tip would have better served me over the bbs I added to my leader.

i fish with either a full sink, or a sinking tip and a bb, depending on where a bouts in the pool i am fishing. you can make it down pretty far with a sink tip, and fluro leader. if your not getting down far enough try a weighted fly as well.

sink tips are a great way to be able to adjust to different water without changing your whole line. just try some 5ft poly sink tips to start. You might just have to adjust your casting a little bit since the tip will add a little more grain weight to the line. Weighted flies work well also but for the niagara, you will want both a sink tip and weighted fly in some areas. Hope this helps you

craig

Do you normally run an indicator? or just tight line? I've been reading up on sink tips a bit and it seems that a WF#F/S may be a better choice?

• 2 weeks later...

One more question. When fishing in the lower what length sink tips would be best. I have an assortment from 5' to 12' up to Type III to T-14. Thanks.

Its tough to say...every run and hole is different on that river. Always be prepared and willing to change the setup. Just on sunday I got two fish in the same run on two different tips. First one was at the head of the run using a floating tip and a weighted intruder...smacked a nice hen there. Then moved further down and tried to fish the same setup in the deeper water by casting straight across the river and putting a big upstream mend in it to get the fly down. Did that for 10 minutes and realized i had to change if i wanted to see a fish. Then i switched to a MOW tip thats 5ft floating and 5ft T14 with the same weighted fly. Started to feel the bottom and then it was game on shortly after that...another nice hen totally smashed it. Sometimes i am stuburn and don't change but I've learned my lesson and now set things up right for each run.

sorry for the rant but hope this helps you

craig

Archived