10/13/04 Upper Niagara Musky Rep. (pics)

Guest Gman

Well got up early and picked up Hookerdown and went to Time for a large Cafe Moca and plain bagel toasted with butter and cheddar.

Started to make our way down the QEW with no traffic and no worries of work. Looking forward to a great day on the water with a friend and a few new friends from OFN, Rizzo and CooolB.

The directions we had were correct however could've been a little more detailed, for example if your on your way to Netherby exit and you see and exit for Shirkston shores keep going it's the next one. Me and Hookerdown saw that and thought we had gone too far or missed an exit. We ended up turning around and asked for direction a few exits back. Guess what we were told,,,,,,,,it was the next exit after Shirkston Shores exit. That was nice and just our luck !!! It was good for a laugh.

We got there and Rizzo was just getting ready to launch his boat so we helped him out as he was waiting for CoolB. Once we got him in he started fishing the shoreline while waiting for CoolB. Once we got ours in the water CoolB appeared.

Here's what the morning looked like -

160DCP03215-med.JPG

Right away we notice the current and the drop off to 15-20fow. So we started trolling Believers and bucktails. We ended up using my downriggers as rod holders and they came in handy.

160DCP03217-med.JPG

We spent a good portion of the morning trolling our way up against the current towards the triangle. I believe CoolB and Rizzo started to fish the shoreline and a marina further up river that he has caught a few musky at before.

By the time we got up there the sun was shinning, oh and by the way since I called in sick I had to make sure I was wearing SPF 35 sunscreeen as I don't think that would've looked too good !!

160DCP03221.JPG

Met up with CoolB & Rizzo, by this time they had a landed a 31" pike and had a follow by a smaller musky. Better luck than we had had to that point.

We kept chaning up the lures and playing with depth and speed right up until we got to the triangle.

This is the entrance of the triangle from downstream

160DCP03222.JPG

The current was really moving.

We stayed in anywhere from 12-28 fow along weedlines. The sun was really shinning at this poinst as you could see.

Once we got up past the triangle further upstream we decided to kill the kicker and drift with the current casting to shore - nothing and we tried everything. We mainly stayed on the CDN side since Hookerdown doesn't have a NY liscence.

Once we got down to the marine we met CoolB and Rizzo at on the way up by this time they had landed a smaller tiger musky and had several follows with no takers.

We continued trolling the same shoreline going downstream that we trolled on the way up and then finally it happened on a Rapala Super Shad down 13/20.

160DCP03225.JPG

Not much of a fight but a first it really got our blood pumpin as we know what the capabilities of the river are. We didn't even bother to measure it, just put her right back in.

Got the lines all set up again and trolled for another hours or so then decided to call it a day.

Don't know what happened to Rizzo and CoolB as we never saw them again.

Anyways the fishign wasn't the best but learned a great deal about the water since it was our first time out there and was definitely better than a day at the office.

Looking forward to the cooler weather and grey skies.

Cheers,

Gman

Nice report gman. Kind of a Cuthbertson flavour to the narration. :dunno:

I've been trying like crazy from shore to land my first musky but not even a follow from musky nor pike. The winds seemed to be from the east after 17:00 when I went out. Greyer skys are predicted for tomorrow. Good luck and keep the reports coming. The more I see others catching, the more determined I get.

I fish it all IBC. Unless your fishing from Navy Island, then I've tried your spot at least twice this year minimum. What time of day do you have your best luck?

Guest Brian Laketrout Cuthbertson

Gman

Great review of the day,got to love those diggy cameras to make the report complete.

Chilli

Any time you want to go muskey hunting let me know. I've never fished for them but have caught them in the lower niagara in the winter time. I know they like a Williams :dunno:

Archived