Spey Reel

DaveC

Looking at purchasing a spey reel. Will be used on an 8/9 weight rod. What type should i look at? What should i expect to spend? Looked at one at Canada reels really nice but 7 hundred bones...no way , not happening. Not ready for divorce yet...lol

What kind of price range are you looking for?

Orvis hydro is nice, Snowbee geo, loop evotec all around $400

Guidelines haze $300

Guideline reel master $180

You looking for a reel that screams or a silent reel?

Kind of hoping to keep it under $300 incl tax. Might even concider looking into used ones as well. I really dont know what Im looking for? I have never spey fished but wanted to see what other people use and kind of the best bang for the buck. If I could pick up something decent used would probably be my best bet...what would you think is best to get?

Used is the way I would go, you'll get better gear for less money, for an 8/9 rod I'd up size my reel to a 10/11 size reel. Being able to try a few reels is always nice but not always possible. But in a sense almost anything will do the trick, it just holds line. I almost never use the drag on my fly reels except when I'm down south fishing the salt. All my reels are Loop and Nautilus . Check out the Spey specific forums there's a lot of info for beginners and also good deals to be had in the classifieds

Don't hesitate to check out Kijiji: that's where I found mine. I know I've bragged up my reel so many times you folks must be bored of it, but take a look at the Pflueger Trion line-up. Reasonable pricing and very good reels in my opinion.

used is for sure the cheapest way to go...Bondar is right about the sizing. It all comes down to your personal preference. You also want a reel heavy enough to balance out the bigger rods. I always like the heavier reels over the light ones myself. Love Speyco reels for that and they are loud. Message me if you want more details on where to find these used ones or even some sweet new stuff. $300 will get you a very decent reel for sure.

steelontheswing@gmail.com

Craig

Thanks guys...I appreciate your help. Your not boring me coach.....I will message you Craiger on where to find a good deal...thanks. Im going to work on the rod over the winter when I get some time to get started. In the meantime here is a few flys I tied today just playing around. As you can see the addiction is growing. :o

20121229_102216_zps699c13f5.jpg

20121229_101837_zps341525ee.jpg

20121229_093714_zps9ae15076.jpg

20121229_061658_zps11e2e1f9.jpg

20121229_063932_zpse8cfbe44.jpg

20121229_081719_zps6c713f33.jpg

20121229_070859_zpscda3d5a1.jpg

Nice ties Dave...I can definitely see fish on those...

Thanks Brian....we gotta get some time together. I been locked down alot lately

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

If its not too late all I have to say is I got a hardy Zane for number 2 for

Me 8 weight real is regular 549.99 got it fr 289 at sail ask if they have any if they don't ask them to check other stores and get it shipped in! Unbelievable for the price!

If you are still in the hunt check these out. I picked up one for my 10wt. Carbon drag nice subtle click easy to maintain.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Flextec-AeroTec-Fly-Reel-Spare-Spool-9-12-Rrp-160-/370785027296?pt=UK_SportingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&hash=item56548284e0&_uhb=1#ht_4884wt_1271

About $120 shipped with a spare spool.

Kind of hoping to keep it under $300 incl tax. Might even concider looking into used ones as well. I really dont know what Im looking for? I have never spey fished but wanted to see what other people use and kind of the best bang for the buck. If I could pick up something decent used would probably be my best bet...what would you think is best to get?

Check Amundson Wind Warrior also Hardy's 8000 is sweet...

Archived