Ice Report

MasterSkunk

So with all the interest in ice fishing, there are a lot of people that are new to ice fishing, including myself that should be very careful. That being said it would be nice if we could have updates and advice from the experienced icers out there. If you are interested in trying an area, or maybe a partner let's try to help each other, so when the ice is ready we can go to it and not through it.

maybe pin a post in "additionl resources", kinda like the weather update

If us icers contribute even reports from other forums, ice thickness, rigs used, depth of hook set, vex shots, navionics co-ords'etc. I'm sure that would help some of the newer ice dogs!

Ive got a friend that goes to quinte and he always shares info. so far they had 4" ice and bagging 8-11lb. eyes. jigging minnows on straight point spoons. I would not recommend going if your new!!!! the ice in the bay shifts quite often and when it cracks its like a small earthquake.

we have been ice raceing on the quarie in port colborne saturday was the first time this year. monday and today the ice got way worse. Had to keep moveing the track over to get to new ice. there was 8 or so holes drilled from yesterday eavening some time.in those holes there was a good 4-5 inches of ice. its getting softer and and more wet on top.There is 2 other ponds we ride on that had 6" on saturday.There was fishable/rideable ice here u just have to know where to go.

wrc

we have been ice raceing on the quarie in port colborne saturday was the first time this year. monday and today the ice got way worse. Had to keep moveing the track over to get to new ice. there was 8 or so holes drilled from yesterday eavening some time.in those holes there was a good 4-5 inches of ice. its getting softer and and more wet on top.There is 2 other ponds we ride on that had 6" on saturday.There was fishable/rideable ice here u just have to know where to go.

wrc

just about where is that im new too the area like too find some good fishing holes around !!

its off hwy 3 west of port colborne on quary rd. We were rideing on the ice on tuesday.Went back today and did not unload the bikes the ice is way to soft now.cant wate for more ice.

wrc

is this off main str that runs along the canal ??

i got cancelled out for my weekend up at calendar bay this weekend :( ... had to book the trip again for february. ohhhh welll.

Who do you go with in Callander Bay? My favorite place to ice fish....I will be up there long weekend in Feb as well. I have a great place and very affordable right at the channel going into the bay...great ice fishing. PM me if you would like more info.

Friends of mine just got back from nipissing, they launched out of Callender bay.

Ice huts were set up only 20-30' from shore with none of the Large group huts set out yet.

They walked out from the stationary huts, 45 fish landed in 3 days, 1 pike, 15 walleye rest were perch all caught on live minnows.

The reports im getting for Callander bay is 8" of ice. Tbey did have a couple of bungalows go through few weeks ago. It can only get better from here though....we hope. Fishing has been great this year....so much for status of the fisherie up there. Im up there on the 15th of next month for my fill. Love fishing Nipissing.....nothin better than brown trout scattered all over the hut. The fishing is a bonus...lol

i would like to know that as well sooner, I mean it has been cold, but nearly enough for walking on, I would think.

Lake Simcoe - Ice Conditions - Update

First hand account, brother lives in Beaverton, Mother-in-law lives in Pefferlaw. Mum says ALL Beaverton operators went out Tuesday on greater than 9" of ice. Virginia Beach operators have been out since Friday on greater than 8". I know Cook's bay operators are out, unknown amount of good ice can't find a reliable updated source. Brother is putting his own hut out on Sunday morning possibly right out past Thorah Island for slaying Whities.

Use this website to locate a hut operator near the vacinity of where you plan to fish or to book rentals. (Mobile Sucks BTW)

http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&t=m&source=embed&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=201198359476421360459.0004cf306c48e9cbbbf0a

The site is updated daily, yesterday Beaverton huts were just past Thorah Island, today it looks like South and East shore operators are reaching Whitefish and Trout grounds already!

Smash and I are going out on Feb 10th I'll post a first hand update and some pics after that. I will also try to post when Bro rolls out.

Good Luck! and Save some for us!

Archived