Smoking Brine For Trout

Backwoods

I was out on simcoe today and decided to keep a couple Lakers that I caught. I was lucky enough to get a new smoker for christmas. I figure this would be a great chance to fire er up. So Im looking for come good Brine recipes. I do have one that I use to use on my old TrueNorth smoker but I found it too salty.

Any Ideas

I was out on simcoe today and decided to keep a couple Lakers that I caught. I was lucky enough to get a new smoker for christmas. I figure this would be a great chance to fire er up. So Im looking for come good Brine recipes. I do have one that I use to use on my old TrueNorth smoker but I found it too salty.

Any Ideas

Cut the salt by half

Laker is probably one of the best fish to smoke, there more fatty then most trout which is a good thing when smoking, my best tasting smoked fish was lakers, as for brine I'm not an expert but my buddy always used a paprika, brown sugar rub on the fish before smoking and it turns out fantastic. He would brine the fish overnight, then apply the rub and allow the fish to dry for a few hours then smoke. We always smoked with fresh apple wood, or peach for fish and I've never used the store bought chips although lots of people do use them, living in Niagara there is no shortage of fresh apple or peach wood.

Indian Candy is a dynamite way to do smoked fish. Nobody has been smoking fish longer than them! The key isn't just the salt/brown sugar dry brine, its the smoking temp and time. Read up on this method, turns out great.

Here Is my brine For Indian candy

1/2 cup course salt.

2 cups brown sugar

1 cup maple syrup

1/2 cup spice rum

1 quart water.

Brine for 24 hour,Rinse in cold water. Pat dry and sit for an hour should be tacky to touch. Smoke for 2 hours,Apple or maple chips. Leave in smoker for 7 hours total time at 130F to 140F

Less time moist, More time the drier it gets like jerky.

This will not last long so don't give it all away.

Archived