Fairy New To The Fly

Netmaniskey

Hi guys I'm fairly new to fly fishing and the site. Name is Jeff from Hamilton area. Been fishing for years but just started on the fly last yr. Just looking for a little advice on the different migratory fish runs in the area and there rough timelines. As well if anyone would be so kind as to help with a few recommendations of areas the aren't to far from the Hamilton area. Thanks again guys. Love this site

Hey Netmaniskey! I live in the Hammer too, and lately fish the Harbour and surrounding areas almost exclusively. CCIW is a good place for carp and 'bows (early in the year of course) as well as pike (see my profile pic). Grindstone Creek is also productive in the Spring and again in the Fall for 'bows and/or the odd salmon. Desjardins Canal has lots of carp and bullheads year-round. Early in the year you'll occasionally find the odd brown trout lurking around the man-made islands along the West Harbour. Of course, those islands are also home to bass, pike, bullheads and carp. Plenty of perch in the area around Bayfont Park as well as pike (including one monster that I've seen but never hooked). A day spent working the shoreline from Bayfont Park to the Canal and back usually produces some action, but rarely any migratory species unless early in the year or into the Fall. Redhill Creek still supports a fall run of salmon, but with the conditions of the creek itself, its an iffy proposition.

Bring Zonkers, Muddler Minnows and Wooley Buggers with you for the most part. Dahlburgh Divers also work well if you're fishing the brush along the shoreline later in the year: the diver makes a nice commotion on the surface and will often bring bass or pike to your line.

Coachman, that was a very helpful reply. I wish there were more like you around. I am trying to get back into fly fishing (learned when I was in London ont. and fished mostly west of London) and haven't done any out this way.

• 1 month later...

Archived