Would like your opinions on boats

Guest Steelheader

Guest Steelheader

Hey everyone,

Much to my wife's horror I'm considering buying a boat sometime in the next year or so. Thing is, I don't know jack about boats. I see that some of you have them, though, so I was wondering if you could share some of your experience.

I'm looking for something that can handle the Niagara River and the bar, as well as your average interior lake. At this point I'm not looking for something for the open water with downriggers, etc. I'm thinking a budget of around $5k with trailer and motor, so I'm obviously looking at used. But primarily I'm wondering what I'll need in terms of size and power, inboard vs outboard, stability, and any other considerations. I don't want a choppy lake to keep me from being able to fish.

If anyone has any insight it would be greatly welcomed. :lol:

Thanks!

Guest Gill Finigan

For that kind of money you should look for a 16' Aluminum with a 20-40hp. Shop around and look for deep and wide. A deep wide boat will sit pretty good in a chop but be safe not crazy when the big waves are out find a river spot to fish. Or add a extra zero to your spending limit and buy a Ranger.Remember a large portion of the cost is the motor. Always good to find a friend that knows engines to come look with you. Always hear the motor run before buying. You can get an attachment that hooks to a regular garden hose and fits over the water intakes so you can get them to fire up the motor even in a driveway.

Guest bigfishbass

i agree deep and wide... will you have kids in the boat....if so... deep hull is best. if you look around... there are some great deals out there... but you may have to drive abit to find them...last time I was in Buckhorne i found a 1992 bowrider 80 hp mer... fishfinder etc...new carpet and cover...with trailer...for $2500.... should have picked it up... i had it on the lake with the guy...ran like crazy. Still might be for sale... the guy was dieing of brain cancer and wanted to get rid of it...man why didn't i buy it.

Guest The Hound

I agree with the rest of the guys . Do your homework , watch on-line auctions ,boat trader.ca and boats.com are good .

Also when its time to go looking ask to hear the motor run , check lower unit oil and I would run a compression check on all cylinders .

The Hound

Guest Brian Laketrout Cuthbertson

I agree with the other guys but I would not buy a used motor. The motor is 3/4 or more of the price of any boat you will buy.I'd buy a used boat and a new motor. If you are going with a used motor and your figuring on fishin the Great lakes and the Niagara river it's best to have a kicker motor just incase you break down. You can get a new boat and motor for $8500 or less.

I'm not plugging there products but heres a link that might interest you and make your wife mad :lol:

New Boat

Show Room

i won't tell you what to buy because everyone has differant things they want out of their boat. just buy one size larger boat then you think you need. i had a 14ft deep wide starcraft and got rid of it in 2 years because it was too small. i would not buy a boat smaller then 17ft even if you have to wait another year to save the cash. now you have to just figure out how you want it rigged, tiller or console, livewells or not, utility or casting deck. be sure of what you want and wait for it or you won't be happy.

the best advice i can give is let your buddy buy a boat and use it, because they never stop costing you money.

Guest Steelheader
the best advice i can give is let your buddy buy a boat and use it, because they never stop costing you money.

1446[/snapback]

That sounds like good advice.

Hey, you wanna go fishing sometime? :D

Guest bigfish1965

I fully agree with Brian about the Legend boats. I had a V-170 with a 75 and it was sweet! I sold it to TNT and he loves it. Legend boats are the best bang for your buck for sure.

Rick, the owner of this site, also has a Legend as has said nothing but good things to me about it.

I've had mine for 4 years now and so far it's been a very reliable boat. It's a 15 footer with a 40 hp Johnson tiller and it has a smooth ride. Hasn't leaked a drop either.

Guest Steelheader
I've had mine for 4 years now and so far it's been a very reliable boat. It's a 15 footer with a 40 hp Johnson tiller and it has a smooth ride. Hasn't leaked a drop either.

1486[/snapback]

Do you find a 15 footer is big enough to tackle big water, i.e the bar and the lower niagara?

I do the lower river all the time and find that it's a good boat for it, but I wouldn't take it into Devils Hole or out on the bar when there is a good chop. You probably will want to go bigger if you plan on fishing these areas.

Guest deepblackwater

Hi there, i'm new to this site. Most of the important stuff has been posted already. Just some things to consider, wish I knew this much before I bought my boat.

Glass boats tend to be heavier, but they're quieter on the water, and more stable, you'll need more ponies to get it up on plane as well. You will need to use more gas to both run and haul a glass boat around due to the weight.

On the other hand aluminum boats are much lighter to pull around, louder on the water, easier to get up on plane with less hp, and less stable on the water. Uses less gas to both run and pull.

They both have their pros and cons. Of course I would recommend to go as wide and deep as you can. Try to get as many ponies as you can as well. Don't underpower your boat, sometimes weather can turn on you real quick.

If I'd do it all over again I'd pick up a nice wide and deep welded aluminum with casting decks powered by a 4 stroke instead of my pig of a 2 stroke. When I bought my boat gas was not a problem, now it costs me too much. Get yourself a 4 stroke because they're much more affordable nowadays. And if at all possible try to take it out on the water with someone who has experience with boats for a test run. Have him take a look at the outboard as well. There's nothing wrong with picking up a used boat as long as you're careful. Happy hunting :P

Guest Brian Laketrout Cuthbertson

1486[/snapback]

Thats what that blur was going up the river :P

Legend boats is coming out next year with a 17.2 Exterminator (All welded)

deepblackwater

Welcome!!

Guest Longshank

Been a while for me on this board..........

Started fishing the river with a 14 foot Crestliner deep V

Then got a 16 foot Lund angler with all the goodies and a 50 on the back.

This works just fine........BUT

if I had to do it again 17 footer ...minimum

Shank

Archived