Fly Newbie

Parksy12

New to fly fishing this year. Will be targeting bass when season starts. Just wondering if any one is willing to to share some tips, possibley even teach me something this spring in person on the water? Thnks

My greatest tip for you is to be prepared. My first trip on a river I forgot shot. I had fish all around me, I could see them swim by as I stood there, but couldn't get my presentation deep enough.

Have you learned to cast from a seasoned angler? Having someone there who can watch you and adjust little things pays off huge! You can't learn everything off of YouTube.

Lastly learn how to be ambidextrous. My first trip out to the river I could not cast right handed as I had learned on the pond. There was too much cover (and may have also been my inexperience) so I had to switch hands and cast with my left to get a good cast. As I said I didn't have shot so it didn't matter much anyways but it's always fun to get out.

I love using wooly buggers and poppers I learned last summer fly fishing in my pond, want to go big this summer and go in the Niagara river but figure it to be much different from a pond lol :crazy:

Parksy, you will find that roll casts are the most versatile. You can even throw them back-hand from your off-side in tight quarters. One thing to note is that you cannot practice roll casting properly on a lawn: you need the surface tension of the water to set a proper anchor for a roll cast.

For bass, any fly that will make a commotion will work. Muddlers, Dahlburghs, Deerhair mice and frogs, and of course, crayfish imitations all produce. But every fly box MUST have some Wooley Buggers to be considered complete.

Parksy, you will find that roll casts are the most versatile. You can even throw them back-hand from your off-side in tight quarters. One thing to note is that you cannot practice roll casting properly on a lawn: you need the surface tension of the water to set a proper anchor for a roll cast.

For bass, any fly that will make a commotion will work. Muddlers, Dahlburghs, Deerhair mice and frogs, and of course, crayfish imitations all produce. But every fly box MUST have some Wooley Buggers to be considered complete.

Hey Coach...you got me laughing...the wooly bugger (that MUST HAVE go-to fly) I have NEVER caught a steelhead with...wtf

CC, I've never landed a steelie on a bugger either, but brookies, bass, pike, carp and (believe it or not) one hapless bullhead have come to hand thanks to a bugger of one colour or another. Of course, my fly box also has zonkers, but I'm not going to suggest them to a newbie, unless he likes wearing a hardhat to go fishing, LOL.

Thanks guys. I have been watching some videos on youtube and taking some of Cabelas online courses to just get some knowledge on fly fishing. I've been looking for an experienced fly fishermen to help guide me along, as i know i'll have some problems. Plan on making a trip up to Bass Pro soon to get everything i need, as you said and I know, you have to be prepared. Already got a bunch of poppers, frog and mouse flies and others to. Just looking for some good crayfish flies, any one know where i could order some? Thanks again, cant wait to get out there.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived