Minnimum Hp And Boat Running Depth For The Lower?

Seanook

Hey folks. Buddy of mine just bought a boat. Needs some work, nothing to drastic. It's a 16 ft fibreglass with a 75hp Merc. Plan is to get it out on the lower. Both of us have quite a bit of boating experience but nothing close to the Lower Niagara currents. I have been primarily a big lake guy. Lots of time on Lake O and Georgian Bay.

My question is......How much HP is the minimum needed and minimum hull depth just to be safe. I have heard of guys dropping in tinnies with less than 50Hp but that seems a little ......Ridiculous. :bb2: Just my first reaction.

Looking to drop in at queenston and go as far up as Niagara Power.

Any advice is much appreciated.

I've heard of guys going up river in tinnies and smaller boats, but they would have to hug the shoreline where you're likely to hit a rock and then your day just got a lot worse. Your best bet is to book a charter and learn all about the river. 5-10 years ago an American charter captain and clients were killed up by the power plants.The Niagara is powerful and unpredictable.

I've heard of guys going up river in tinnies and smaller boats, but they would have to hug the shoreline where you're likely to hit a rock and then your day just got a lot worse. Your best bet is to book a charter and learn all about the river. 5-10 years ago an American charter captain and clients were killed up by the power plants.The Niagara is powerful and unpredictable.

Indeed. Hence my reluctance and questions. A Charter is definately in the plans. Thing is.... he has the boat now, and decisons have to be made as far as modifications and other possibillities.......Provided it's even safely do-able. Obviously the preference would be to have something larger than that and has power.

The subject came up when the boat was bought. Just figured I'd ask

you should be fine at queenston launch with the artpark drift american side, queenston drift in front of the launch and the pipleline drift both on the canadian side. I dont know if you should venture any further upstream it gets extremely swift at devils hole. Others with more experience on the lower please chime in as this is an important topic imo Darrin also a good trolling motor is a must

Your boat will be fine going up the niagara river once you get some more experience. Maybe go with someone a little more experienced a couple times before trying it yourself. We do it all the time in a 16 foot aluminum with a 30 hp tiller no problem even in the winter with heavy ice. Call it crazy, ridiculous, whatever you like but as long as your careful it can be done. And alot of times once you get to the hole n start smashin em its worth it;)

i would wait for a while before you head to devils hole,,,,plenty of fish in queenston and further downstream,,try the pumphouse,,,my personal favorite

Your boat will be fine going up the niagara river once you get some more experience. Maybe go with someone a little more experienced a couple times before trying it yourself. We do it all the time in a 16 foot aluminum with a 30 hp tiller no problem even in the winter with heavy ice. Call it crazy, ridiculous, whatever you like but as long as your careful it can be done. And alot of times once you get to the hole n start smashin em its worth it;)

It'll be at least untill Bass opener before She's worthy.

Like I said before, a guide is in the works. Even after that we will probably be satisfied with drifting from Queenston to the Bar before we try and venture too far up river.

Thanks Guys.

Archived