Fly Rod Low Down...

DaveC

Ok, have some questions for you experienced fly guys

My rod is a St Croix Imperial 8wt swtich rod

Reel Orvis Battenkill.- mid arbour

I have elected to go with the Rio Skagit in 425g as thats what is reccomended for the rod.

Questions: Does the skagit connect to a running line? If so what type? - right now my reel only has what looks to be a dacron backing on it.

Do I take off this backing and put a running line connected to the skagit?

Next Question: Sink tips - What do I need T14 T12 T10 T8 ? The waters I will use the rod are the Saugeen, Credit, and some of the bigger US tribs.

Depth Im fishing is usually 3 - 10ft Do I really need a MOW kit of Tips? or should I just buy a few important ones? Complete set is $154.00

I want to get everything I need to fish right now...line skagit, leaders

Thankyou so much....

This document from Rio will help you answer your questions:

http://www.rioproducts.com/skin/summit/pdf/Understanding%20Spey%20lines%202013.pdf

As for a running or shooting line, yes, absolutely you should have one, as it will make shooting long casts much easier as the smooth, slick surface results in less drag as it passes through your guides. Another point (not mentioned in the document), is that the running or shooting line sheds water better than a dacron backing line, resulting in less ice build-up on the guides in cold weather.

When respect to the MOW kit, you'll want to consider not only the sink rate and depth of the water, but the speed of the current. Faster currents might require a faster sink rate if the fish are deep, as often your cast won't get down to the fish before the end of your swing. By the same token, in a slower current you can probably fish a slower sink rate. In my opinion, if you can afford a complete MOW kit, go for it, as it will give you more flexibility. In addition, consider making a few of your own to expand that versatility even more. I made one for myself from 15 feet of 30 lb test lead core trolling line for an extra-fast sink rate: I seldom use it, but I've fished some very deep pools with a strong current down one side and slack water on the other, where getting deep before the line swings into the slower section is needed.

This document from Rio will help you answer your questions:

http://www.rioproducts.com/skin/summit/pdf/Understanding%20Spey%20lines%202013.pdf

As for a running or shooting line, yes, absolutely you should have one, as it will make shooting long casts much easier as the smooth, slick surface results in less drag as it passes through your guides. Another point (not mentioned in the document), is that the running or shooting line sheds water better than a dacron backing line, resulting in less ice build-up on the guides in cold weather.

When respect to the MOW kit, you'll want to consider not only the sink rate and depth of the water, but the speed of the current. Faster currents might require a faster sink rate if the fish are deep, as often your cast won't get down to the fish before the end of your swing. By the same token, in a slower current you can probably fish a slower sink rate. In my opinion, if you can afford a complete MOW kit, go for it, as it will give you more flexibility. In addition, consider making a few of your own to expand that versatility even more. I made one for myself from 15 feet of 30 lb test lead core trolling line for an extra-fast sink rate: I seldom use it, but I've fished some very deep pools with a strong current down one side and slack water on the other, where getting deep before the line swings into the slower section is needed.

Good resource from Rio Coach!! :D

Hey dave the MOW tips are a great addition to the arsenal for sure. I would agree that a 400-425 skagit is right on for that setup. I run a 400g switch line on my 8 and 8/9wt switch rods. As for the MOW's just go with the mediums or lights which will work perfect on the switch setup. I have a 400g line if you ever want to try it out. Cheers

Craig

Thanks Guys....CC, that picture was exactly what I was needing to know. So, Im going to pick this stuff out this week hopefully. Im going to wind it on backwards as Coachman mentioned before to get the reel properly spooled. What I could not figure out was the skagit was only so short, then I was thinking ok whats that connect to? But the picture gives me a good idea now of the setup..

Thankyou.

post a pic of you new setup man!!!

Well all I have is the rod and reel....Im waiting until I get back from Oklahoma second week May. Then Im going to take the lessons and let them help me see what best suits me for fly line. That was the suggestion, before I bought what might not suit me correctly. They said Rob would call me when I get back....no steel by then, but hope to get in some practice on the local streams for pike maybe. Maybe even carp...I know a place really close that has tons of big carp swimming around..lol. Not only that, its within 50 meters of a sheltered patio bar...I can even walk there!!!

I know a place really close that has tons of big carp swimming around..lol. Not only that, its within 50 meters of a sheltered patio bar...I can even walk there!!!

Damn my kind of fishing hole! Where might this oasis be?

Damn my kind of fishing hole! Where might this oasis be?

Speed river in downtown Cambridge...you could almost cast off the second story patio deck of Ernies roadhouse....lol. seen a few kids down there fishing one day...walked over thinking what the geez they fishing for in that spillage...lol. to my surprise from the top of the bridge you could see the huge carp swirling below...lol. they had corn all over the walkway...looked like it might be fun for some arm excercise....lol.

Archived