Think I Might Have To Try This.

iHasFish

I once caught a very nice 18" brookie on a nymph. Since action was so slow that day we pumped the its stomach and found. . . cranberries! Since then, whenever I fish that area I take a few flies made out of a ball of red dubbing material. Never thought to try a "corn" pattern but will try it out now.

Wow...you guys are getting me pumped to get started. The part where he puts the reel in the water is something. Also i witnessed a great idea for getting your fish closer to you when he puts his rod behind his back over the shoulder. I have had this occur to me many times and end up having to beach the fish. Im going to try that next time instead of dragging the fish onto the bank or over rocks. With a long rod even when its reeled in all the way the fish is always out of reach. I also know a few places very close to home that holds some big carp....i have some testing to do this summer now. Really looking forward to a new approach.

I have caught carp on both an orange and a red egg pattern they are one hell of a fight. It is basicly just sight fishing but carp like to inhale and spit out so make sure you hook up and don't just rip the fly out of his mouth!

I'm definitely going to hit up beaverdams by the golf course when the weather gets above the teens again. I love how in some videos they call carp the poor mans bone fish

I once caught a very nice 18" brookie on a nymph. Since action was so slow that day we pumped the its stomach and found. . . cranberries! Since then, whenever I fish that area I take a few flies made out of a ball of red dubbing material. Never thought to try a "corn" pattern but will try it out now.

Cranberry flies...coming up!!!

I used to go to the irrigation pond where I worked a the time on my breaks and fly fish for carp because there was so many of them and they would come to the top and sun and feed, I would get maybe 10 on a break and then be hungry until my next break for fish and food. But what a fight! They were maybe the most of 5-6 pounds but still fun!

• 2 weeks later...

Funny thing is, this British bloke probably paid about $100 to fish for carp in this little reservoir... epic!

Carp on a fly are awesome, but getting them on a nymph in a river is about 100x more challenging then baiting them in.

Good fun!

• 2 weeks later...

Besides the bread flies and such, what are you guys using for imitation? Big and gaudy dries and nymphs or small and realistic? I can't seem to get a bite.

In the heat of the summer I see big carp feeding heavily on the surface and making a huge splash, but could never get them to take a dry fly. I think that would be a blast to hook up that way. I wonder what they're feeding on.

In the heat of the summer I see big carp feeding heavily on the surface and making a huge splash, but could never get them to take a dry fly. I think that would be a blast to hook up that way. I wonder what they're feeding on.

You might have been seeing spawning activity, in which case you're not likely to get one to take any offering. If they are feeding, the fish could be taking just about any prolific aqautic insect. You would want to take the same approach you would with trout: watch for insects coming off the surface and try to match that hatch. Keep in mind that the fish may in fact be feeding on rising nymphs or larvae and not adults, so you'll want to be able to identify and match those as well.

Common insects to watch for would be mayflies, caddis and stoneflies, as they tend to be the ones that will hatch in large numbers.

• 2 weeks later...

I have recently tried using yellow ear plugs on the surface and soaking them in strawberry koolaid for a few hours. Just cut the ear plugs in Hal and put the pieces on a hook like you would pieces of bread or corn.

Interesting technique. I haven't been out to try for awhile but i figured i should try using my egg flies to mimic corn and just soak them in corn juice.

Archived