Upper Niagara River Perch From Shore Heating Up/ With Pics

Decide to give perch a go a few days ago.first evening fished for a 2hrs and got into 30-35 white perch.next day i fished for about 3hrs and got into 50 yellow perch and kept 10 fish between the 9-11inch range.3rd day i fished 6hrs and hooked about 60 perch and kept 15 of the bigger ones.yesterday i got into 50 in 2.5 hours and kept 18 and theyre getting bigger.best spot has been the squaw island Army corps of engineers lock(canal lock) buffalo ny for whites and yellows.whites at the most furthest north of the pier and yellows at the start of the liftlock.people wait for the schools to come to them while i do the opposite i hunt the schools down with double drop shot.once i get a few hook ups then i fish a double rig with short leaders so that they can take the bait.got many double headers.Everyone knows about this spot so its no secret.got to get there early to get a spot. its a big area so good amount of area to fish.

406456188.jpg

406412411.jpg

406456181.jpgthought id try a few of these

Thanks for the report.. I've driven by there quite a few times and didn't know it LOL. I'm an airport driver and go to Buffalo on a regular basis. Everytime I cross the Peacebridge and look down and see the waterfront on the Buffalo side, I figured there had to be shore access somewhere.

Next time I head over, just might take a small detour and check the area out for my own curiousity.

Are those white bass also, because I've caught some to fishing for perch and thought I would give them a taste also, and I love them there so good.

those are white perch.white bass look similar but have more black lines in them.right now where im fishing white bass are off limits cause the season is closed.thanks for the post, now i know white bass taste good so ill try them when its legal to take them.not sure about the taste of white perch but i talked to locals and they say theyre decent but not as good as yellows.so ill do the milk and egg soak for a few hours for them to kill the over fish taste

Can someone please explain the difference between the white perch and bass? Key markings, shapes or identifiers. Do the white bass follow the same season as normal bass?

Seems to be alot of confusion.

Can someone please explain the difference between the white perch and bass? Key markings, shapes or identifiers. Do the white bass follow the same season as normal bass?

white bass have more black stripes running the length of the fish opposed to 2 on the white perch.and if im not mistaken i think white perch have bigger scales than white bass.white perch have a olive color on top of them as the white bass doesnt.im gona have to look at one of my pics to be sure.white bass are more light and silver.

406461989.jpg

heres a pic of a small white bass i caught on the upper last year.as you can see more black lines running through the fish .if you compare it to the 4 white perch above.hope it helps you identifying them.

Just a few more identifiers... White bass and White perch both have 2 dorsal fins... however, dorsal fins on bass are separate, whereas the dorsal fins on the perch are joined. Not sure about the season for these species, however they are in the same family (temperate basses) which is not the same as smallmouth and largemouth bass which are in the sunfish family.

Take a look at "fishingtheupperzone19"s 3rd photo. 3rd fish from the left 2 dorsals clearly appear to be joined (White perch). Easiest way to tell, is to lift front dorsal and if rear dorsal moves/raises (White perch), lift front dorsal and rear remains flat (White bass).

Take a look at "fishingtheupperzone19"s 3rd photo. 3rd fish from the left 2 dorsals clearly appear to be joined (White perch). Easiest way to tell, is to lift front dorsal and if rear dorsal moves/raises (White perch), lift front dorsal and rear remains flat (White bass).

thats interesting.i learned something new today.thats some good information.Thanks

Archived