Quick Detour On The Way Home...

CCfly

Took a brief detour to try out a little trib on the way home from work...didn't hold out much hope with bright sun, clear water...

Nonetheless located a pod of fish just losing their parr marking and a bunch of 1 lb aerial acrobats that were insane...great time on the 4wt. and ended the detour with a nice 5 lb buck.

Cr@p I love this sport!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OsteelparrSM_zps8c7e5411.jpg

OsteelSM_zpsa309710a.jpg

cc

Your post inspired me to go out today and try my luck. Ended up with a bunch of chubbs and 1 4" bow. Also got a really nice burn, really didn't think there would be that much sun. Even though i didn't get into anything worth while, I had a.blast just grtting away. So thanks

I have GOTTA get me a 4 weight! All I have now is a 7/8 and my 10 weight spey. Hooked a little smalley on my 10 weight once and didn't even know it was there til I tried to make a cast! Of course the fish wasn't much bigger than the fly!

Your post inspired me to go out today and try my luck. Ended up with a bunch of chubbs and 1 4" bow. Also got a really nice burn, really didn't think there would be that much sun. Even though i didn't get into anything worth while, I had a.blast just grtting away. So thanks

Glad to stoke the flames man...good crack being out on a stretch of water solo packing smaller gear than is normal during the run...

The water speaks man...

I have GOTTA get me a 4 weight! All I have now is a 7/8 and my 10 weight spey. Hooked a little smalley on my 10 weight once and didn't even know it was there til I tried to make a cast! Of course the fish wasn't much bigger than the fly!

LMAO...airborne smallies...poor fella!!

Hey Coach good to be packing lighter gear for a change...I didn't really feel under-gunned with the 4wt. and the 10 inchers put a nice bend in the rod. Mind you anything hitting the 6+ pound range on light tippet in fast water would pose a challenge of amdifferent sort for sure...

When we heading out for resies bro...about an hour north of Guelph...some pristine water there.

8)

I hear you, CC. There's a photo out there of Lee Wulff landing a good-size Atlantic in fast water using a 2 weight. . . and he's the guy who came up with the "one minute per pound" rule for C&R! I don't know if I'd want to get that gung-ho, but a 4 weight for brookies and smallies would work nicely.

The whole point of fly fishing is LIGHT GEAR lol. We've gotten over the crazy-lite phase, realizing it's not great for the fish, but honestly there's no native stream trout in the province outside of the Nipigon that really need more than a 3 wt. My Sage XP 3 wt is happy to whip 20" steelhead, but there are casting limitations, it's not really game for long-distance streamer fishing. 5 wt is the perfect all-around rod, a nice whippy short little 4 wt is a perfect small stream rod, a long 3 will allow for dapping and Czech nymphing, and is lovely for dries. Break out the 7 and up for chinook, musky, or slob pike or largemouth, otherwise it should be gathering dust, no fun to cast. I'm still hunting for a 0 weight.

Archived