Reel Advise

tinycarper

I'm looking for a quality reliable bait runner, I use 13 foot rod and like fishing at distance at times. Can anyone give advise about what they use, what they like and disike ? I'm looking for something with a massive spool, but light and yet strong, also must not be fragile Ie falls and drops. Not saying which way im leaning due to wanting opinion of what been tried and tested. I'm looking to upgrade the one I have, not that I have much complaint about it.

Daiwa Regal Z5000BR; solid reel, took a beating, taken into the drink a few times, still running strong. Only had it a year, but it was seriously abused. Downsides are that its very heavy and although it holds alot of line, it's not a casting spool.

I upgraded to a Daiwa Crosscast X5000 a few weeks ago and I like it alot better, hasn't quite taken a beating yet as I kind of baby it. This reel can cast a mile, when short range fishing i gotta stop the cast mid air even with little effort on the cast. Also a sharp lookin reel sitting on the bank. It is not a baitrunner though, it has the quick drag feature. Takes a little getting used to, but i actually like it more than my baitrunner.

Archived