Heading Out Tonight, And Thanks

basscrazy

Going to try my luck tn, not sure what I'm going to go after, but on a side note as much as some people on here can get a little over board on the regs. This site has really help me understand the importance of them. And for that I'd like to say thank-you

The regs are the law. You follow them or you get fined/jail time. You can choose to follow them or not but if you get caught poaching you could lose your boat/tackle/vehicle its on you not the site

Also if you are going out depending on where we may be in for a good storm just be careful. In st.catharines we have had a decent wind and rain. I would not be taking a boat out if thats what your planning

The regs are to protect the fishery. If people want to be able to continue to enjoy it, they should respect the rules!

I believe what Basscrazy means when he says people going over board on the regs:

some people read them and their understanding is the law: but there are grey areas in the regs

Case 1: the use of smelts as bait; people will say there are not a baitfish in the regs but those species are for the use of live baitfish.

Case 2: fishing Musky on a conservation licence; can't keep it,,,, what about a foul hooked fish,,,,, can't be left to spoil,,,,,, BUT WHAT OF AN UNDER SIZED FISH DEEPLY HOOKED FISH,,,,,, NEITHER LICENCE WOULD MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

Case 3: fishing Pike (when in season) and catching OOS bass (targeting bass when OOS is illegal) but casting an area where you are less likely to catch Bass is not fool proof.

But lets be honest for a new fisher the regs could be very confusing; so I for 1, like most; will to the best of my knowledge and understanding of the regs answer any question pertaining to them

What I ment by going over board was, when someone posts they caught 20 perch and one bass and forget to write o.o.s and people jump on there back for it. Also I was talking about returning the fish back to the water as soon as possible because of the nesting. Those are the kind of things this site has taught me. Not to just fallow the regs. But the importance of the regs and the reasoning behind them. I forget the exact post, but a while back someone posted a video of a bass I believe getting pulled off the nest and how fast the eggs were eaten. Not as to the fishing just as I stopped at Timmy's the down pour started. So I enjoyed my coffee and headed home.

With the new steelhead limits in the lake there will be a ton of wasted fish.They really are hard to release healthy when trolling.They bleed tons when hooked with the bigger spoons.But the population seems to be better than it has been in years?

Bear, I'm not on here to argue about the regs. All I was saying is personally, this site has taught me the reasoning be hind them. Myself like everyone else on the forum are here because fishing is a passion, and as much as we all can't get out as much as we would like its nice to see how everyone is making out.

And "on the money" was also on the money

on the money is not on the money,

1.smelt are invasive and no invasive's are not to be kept live or used as bait, clearly stated in the invasive species section of the regs, nothing grey about that.

2.anyone could just say it was deeply hooked, so nothing grey about that, musky are the most majestic biggest trophy and most fragile fishery get a seasonal if you want to fish them.

3.as far as the bass go you are close, but as stated in the regs if you are catching more the you should you should move on to another spot, i mean common you know what you are doing right?

With the new steelhead limits in the lake there will be a ton of wasted fish.They really are hard to release healthy when trolling.They bleed tons when hooked with the bigger spoons.But the population seems to be better than it has been in years?

youi could just drop your line outa of the bow zone like i do when you have your limit? you obviously know that they are hard to release so...... fishing isn't rocket science just need to use common sense and proper etiquette.

Archived