smoked fish

mazz

I myself use the Little Chief Smoked Salmon deluxe brine with Hickory or Cherry wood . I leave the fish in the brine for at least 24 hours in the frige. I use 3 to 4 panfuls of wood and the fish take around 6 to 8 hours to cook depends on the thickness of the fish. Another trick is to put the box that your smoker came in over top of the smoker to keep more heat in. I never had a problem with any of my smoking yet. I filet my fish and leave the skin on, put skin side down. Hope I have been some help. Good luck in the next try and let me know how you made out or if you have any other questions.

Jody

I myself use the Little Chief Smoked Salmon deluxe brine with Hickory or Cherry wood . I leave the fish in the brine for at least 24 hours in the frige. I use 3 to 4 panfuls of wood and the fish take around 6 to 8 hours to cook depends on the thickness of the fish. Another trick is to put the box that your smoker came in over top of the smoker to keep more heat in. I never had a problem with any of my smoking yet. I filet my fish and leave the skin on, put skin side down. Hope I have been some help. Good luck in the next try and let me know how you made out or if you have any other questions.

Jody

1535[/snapback]

You are welcome to try this. Everyone says it is good!

8 cups water

1 cup white wine

½ cup Soya sauce

½ tsp. red pepper sauce

1 ¼ cup brown sugar

¾ cup pickling salt

1 tsp. garlic powder

1 tsp. onion powder

1 tsp. black pepper

1 tsp. paprika

1 tsp. Italian seasoning

1 tbsp. seasonal

1 bay leaf

Bring the above to a boil and turn off. Then throw in the following items:

2 celery stalks

1 leek or onion

½ green pepper

Let cool over the next few hours in the fridge, then add fish to marinade for the next 12 to 18 hours.

Remove fish rinse off under cold water and pat dry, let set on rack and air dry until shiny.

Place fish, skin side down on smoking racks (sprayed with Pam).

Baste top of fish with maple syrup and place in smoker

Don’t allow heat to reach much above 140 F (you will steam your fish rather than smoking it). Smoke approx. 6 to 8 hours

Use good supply of apple, alder, or cherry soaked in water

For stronger smoked flavor, use hickory or mesquite, I like to add a little for the last hour.

When removed the fish should be golden in colour, with slightly blackened edges, and firm to touch.

Let fish cool on racks, then place in brown paper sandwich bags, or brown paper to soak up oils and this allows the fish to breath, staying firm when in the fridge. Do not wrap in plastic to store.

Brad Hartley

Archived