Need Lots Of Work...

DaveC

Took to the grand river this morning with fly rod in hand. Not really to fish, but to practice casting. I put on WF8 line, leader, and tippet to some small beadhead stone flys. All I can say is I have a lot of learning to do. After spending about an hour or so I was getting better. The farthest I could get it out there was about 40 feet. I had problems getting the fly to turn over. Lessons are for sure a must, and Im thinking the skagit lines going to be the better choice to roll cast. My back is sore from the few hours I spent probably over doing trying for distance. I found using 2 hands and roll casting to be the best choice....but Im thinking the floating WF8 line is not the best choice for that...I had it here so I spooled it up just to try. I guess my next step is going to be a few lessons. Im liking it though, even though I need lots of work.

Unless you have a spey line, the best choice for roll casting is a DT line. With a roll cast, you're actually casting the belly of the line, and you want the belly to be in the "D" as you start the cast. A DT line will position the belly where it should be.

Still, 40' is not a bad cast starting out. As for the fatigue, remember to cast with your hips and legs, not just your arms and shoulders.

How long is your rod? A longer one helps a ton with the roll cast

My rod is a St Croix Imperial 8wt switch rod. I have an Orvis BattenKill mid arbour reel spool with Dacron backing and spooled with Scientific Anglers Sharkskin Steelhead Taper WF-8-F line. After looking at some youtube videos seems like 40ft roll cast is not that bad actually. I did find though that as I practiced and slowed it down a bit and stopped trying to muscle it I was getting better results. I had a tapered Ferrel leader that Dogman made for me, and a short 2' tippet. Seemed hard to get the fly to turn over properly...however I did fluke out a couple of times. Im going to try again and concentrate more on the D loop. Coach ?? What do you think about getting the Skagit instead?? My main goal will be to mainly roll cast/ spey cast for Steelhead. Im just trying to figure out the setup and work at it...then Im going to sign up for some lessons as soon as I have some spare cash...lol. I want to make sure my setup is correct first...

I have the same rod and really enjoy it. That line should be ok but if you can get to a fly shop that will let you test a couple of different options you can determine what works best for you. Lessons are well worth the time and money - even experienced casters can develop bad habits that can be improved by a good instructor.

My rod is a St Croix Imperial 8wt switch rod. I have an Orvis BattenKill mid arbour reel spool with Dacron backing and spooled with Scientific Anglers Sharkskin Steelhead Taper WF-8-F line. After looking at some youtube videos seems like 40ft roll cast is not that bad actually. I did find though that as I practiced and slowed it down a bit and stopped trying to muscle it I was getting better results. I had a tapered Ferrel leader that Dogman made for me, and a short 2' tippet. Seemed hard to get the fly to turn over properly...however I did fluke out a couple of times. Im going to try again and concentrate more on the D loop. Coach ?? What do you think about getting the Skagit instead?? My main goal will be to mainly roll cast/ spey cast for Steelhead. Im just trying to figure out the setup and work at it...then Im going to sign up for some lessons as soon as I have some spare cash...lol. I want to make sure my setup is correct first...

Still didn't answer, I'm guessing since it's a switch rod that it's over 11 ft. The suggestion to use a double taper line is great advice too. Keep at it, it'll come.

Still didn't answer, I'm guessing since it's a switch rod that it's over 11 ft. The suggestion to use a double taper line is great advice too. Keep at it, it'll come.

Yeh i forgot to mention that....its 11ft. I was thinking to go with a 450g skagit to allow more of the spey casting technique.

Hey Dave

Two elements are important for a roll cast: the "anchor" and the "D." A proper anchor will enable you to load the rod effectively while the D will enable you to form a good loop on the cast. There are lots of errors or bad habits that can creep into your technique, but you can still make a passable cast if your anchor and your D are correct.

If your fly isn't turning over well I'd guess you might be hurrying your cast and not allowing the anchor to "set." Watch for the "mouse:" that little spume of spray that develops as your line comes off the water. If your anchor is too deep, no matter how well you load your rod, the line won't break free cleanly. By the same token, if the anchor is too shallow, your rod won't load up well. If its just right, you'll see that "mouse" and hear a nice hiss as your line comes clean.

Another problem is "following through." At the end of your casting stroke you need to focus on a full stop. Don't let your rod tip drop below about 10 o'clock until your line is nearly straightened out: let your cast's energy transmit to your leader before lowering your rod tip: this will aid in turn-over.

When fishing in a current, don't sweat it too much if you don't get a complete turn-over. The current will quickly straighten your line out as it swings.

Some great points coach. I was not really paying attention to the anchor and maybe that's something to look at for sure. Im going to go out and give it another shot today. I might try to select an area with some current below one of the dams. Going to watch a few more youtube videos on setting the anchor, maybe that might help me improve. If I can get the wife to come, maybe I can get her to film me with my phone then you guys can critique my style...lol. I know once I get this down, Im going to enjoy it. I have ordered a 120ft skagit line with a 27ft shooting head in 450grain off ebay just because I figured it was a good deal for the price. I appreciate everyones help getting started and once I get some lessons hope to progress to at least having things figured out. So thanks.

If you are interested in lessons try Rick Whorwood. He is an excellent teacher and a certified master casting instructor. Im sure one session with him will help you get the proper casting technique and he will be able to help you choose a line that will work with your rod. I don"t have his contact info but I'm sure you could find him on line if you goole his name.

I ended up booking with Rick Whorwood for the 4 hr lessons. He suggested not buying any lines just yet. So sat July 27th we'll see how it goes with Rick.

thanks, flyrodder!

Archived