Saugeen River Advice Needed!

meatface

I was lucky enough to be invited to a friends place for the weekend up in the Walkerton area. We will be spending a few days paddling / fishing the Saugeen, something about one day above the dam and one day below. I'm hoping to have a bit of a fish fry and was wondering if anyone had some advice for what I should be targeting for fish fry purposes. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Meatface

Yes great smallmouth fishing. If your flyfishing use black or brown wooly buggers, black nosed dace streamers, zonkers and poppers. The bottom there is crawling with crayfish so anything resembling a crayfish should work. Lots of small rainbows and a few brown trout in the runs. Look for rising fish and try elk hair caddis or any type of dryfly for some fun top water action. The bass in there are very slow growing so I don't recomend keeping them. An Eighteen inch fish could be about seven years old.There are also some good size musky in there as well.

Awesome musky fishing in the upper near Hanover. Usually rats on shingles work great, down by the lower where it dumps into Huron is good cat fishing, grab a shrimp ring and use that. Nice size cats that are tasty when filleted.

Tight lines

I know the walkerton part of the saugeen quite well. Great river to paddle. I only fis it for steelhead and so i dont know how well it fishes for other species. The dam he refers to is right in town just above tbe tim hortons. You can put in below the dam or above the dam right there in town. Really nice wide sections of river below the dam in town. I have never fished above walkerton dam but more of a slower current. Would be a nice paddle below the dam if you have someone to meet you down river.Some deep areas and lots of places along the way to just stop and fish. I would think the muskie refered to would be above the dam. Regardless of the fishing would be great to paddle below....be a great scenic ride. Good luck and do let us know how the fishing goes. The water just below the dam beside tims is a big spawnning beds for the steelhead. Lots of gravelly bottom there.

Archived