North Country Canada Day Weekend

Seanook

My Son, buddy Pat and I headed north for a few days of fishing and relaxing over the long weekend. Hit up Long Point in Elk Lake and Horwood Lake in Foleyet. 6 1/2 and 9 hrs from Toronto.

Long Point was loaded with fish. Took us a day to locate the "Eyes" and the Mayfly hatch wasn't helping with the numbers game. Once we found what and where they were hitting, it was on. Boat moved a little quick even on the lowest speed and we didn't have a bucket to reverse troll so the stop and start was the only way to go. Found this out as my Buddy kept getting his rig snagged up on bottom and every time he did I would yell "fish on"! LMAO. Never got any big boys but landed a ton of eating size "Eye's".

My son does not yet have the patience for bottom bouncing all evening so we would give him a break and take him into the Bass and Pike spots. Managed quite a few of both and had one happy little Dude.

Horwood Lake was not quite as productive. Lake was huge and lack of a fish/depth finder and no trolling motor on a 20 horse rental was our nemesis. So we spent much of the time exploring the beauty of the area until some locals were kind enough to point us in the right direction. Once we found em.....Meh.....lets say it was anti-climactic. Tons of 1-2 pounders but again no Big Boys.

Highlights of the trip were seeing two Bald Eagles, The famous Horwood White Moose and just the scenery in general.

Pics to follow. Toolbar isn't working right now....Dunno why

Tool bar is here for me Sean? Try the more reply options. In any case sounds like a great trip....looking forward to seeing the pictures. Once you find your tool :pardon:

Tool bar is here for me Sean? Try the more reply options. In any case sounds like a great trip....looking forward to seeing the pictures. Once you find your tool :pardon:

More reply options didn't help.

Found my tool this spring after the winter gut receded. XD

I can see the toolbar here but it is faded and I get no response when clicking on it .......as though I am denied access to it. "Hmmmmm"

It was that stupid BBC code mode button. lol.

Here's a few pics

rapid.jpg

Hundreds of these Garter's were coming out of the ground near our dock.

garter.jpg

Fishing was good just below the falls.

falls2.jpg

Got soaked and the sun was goin down. Wide open full bore ahead.

drivin.jpg

devilfishing.jpg

Best Buds.

Bestbuds.jpg

DockSpider.jpg

Get pics!! Where's all the fish?!

Not many of our fish were overly pic worthy until this........

crispy.jpg

Had one really nice Photo of my Son with a big Pike but he handled it poorly and I won't post that. Had a long lesson about proper handling with him afterwards. Most of my fish go right back in the water. No time for pics.

Nice post Sean....those in the pan are making me hungry.. Would that happen to be big chute your at looks pretty simalar anyway.We'll have to get out again in the fall for some steelies. I know some new areas and have some access to some private property. Fly lessons in 2 weeks for me.....looking forward to more options. Ttyl....

Nice post Sean....those in the pan are making me hungry.. Would that happen to be big chute your at looks pretty simalar anyway.We'll have to get out again in the fall for some steelies. I know some new areas and have some access to some private property. Fly lessons in 2 weeks for me.....looking forward to more options. Ttyl....

Dave, It's two places. Long Point Lodge in Elk Lake(Where the Father/Son photo was taken) and Horwood Lake about an hour and a half west of Timmins. I do not recommend Horwood. Loooooong way away and the name itself says it all. A mine field of floating logs, stumps, rocks and the fishing was mediocre at best. No Bass either. Coulda been bad timing but very disappointing. The scenery was definitely pretty awesome though I have to admit.

Did a wee bit of fly fishing myself this trip for surfacing Whitefish. Just before dark they would be hitting the Mayfly's hard and decided to toss on a streamer. Worked.

I actually can't wait for fall "Chrome". Looking forward to meeting up then.

Archived