Looking Forward To Lessons This Weekend

DaveC

Getting out for my first spey lesson this weekend with Rick Whorwood. Thanks to the board member for reccomending him. Rick is a master certified fly caster and i hope that im able to learn from him the basics of spey angling. Looking to have a few more options for steelheading and targeting some other species in the off season and salt water fishing. Will report back how it goes.

Got out with Rick today on the Grand River. A great much needed lesson. Rick sat me down first thing and went over all the details of lines, leaders grain weights and tapers. I have a much better understanding now. He mentioned a local place to me that allows you to try different lines to see what suits you best. That was a great idea rather than wasting money on something you don't like. We used Ricks gear this morning for the lesson which consisted of a G Loomis Versa 7/8 Air Flo Rage 510 and Discontiuned G Loomis reel.

Rick was very patient with me in explaining the lines and the roll that they play and the orders of importance to be to have a properly balanced setup. He explained proper backing choices, running lines, heads, and poly leaders. We started out on the grass for some quick pointers before moving to the water. For the lesson Rick only uses Yarn with no hooks for safety reasons. Started out with the roll cast and worked our way through the double spey and snap T casts and some snake roll, but that's going on the back burner for the time being...lol. Ricks hand over hand and clear explanations made things very understandable and have gave me great confidence going forward. He gave me some homework to do and explained that time will perfect things if I work on the proper techniques and proper hand placements. I started to feel confident and understood when and why I made a bad cast. The thing I found most not worthy was the fact that had I not taken a lesson....how could you ever tell what little things you do wrong?? It really was and eye opener for me about the small things....and Rick sure makes it look easy, and you know it really is when you do it right. It was a great time, and Rick is an awesome guy...really enjoyed todays lesson with him. I am going back out with him for another lesson in the fall that includes lunch and a drift boat excursion. Hopefully I will be a little more experienced by then. All in all a great day....and worth every penney to take a spey lesson to get you started.

Rick is great at what he does for sure. For reg fly fishing I should start doing instruction again in Niagara region. It's fun and relaxing to learn. Glad you learned alot Dave.

That's good to hear man...glad you see the importance in learning properly right off the hop. Never give yourself the chance to develop bad habits. I started out with Mike Barrand from Waist Deep Casting. When I started he was with Loop, then Vision and now Hardy so he knows his stuff. He helped me out huge. Proper instruction is worth every penny for sure!!!

When we first started out i mentioned to Rick that i fish wierd compared to most...i cast off my right, and reel off my right side, and fight fish with my rod in my left hand. For spey you have to be able to cast off both sides. By the end of the lesson i was actually casting off my left better than my more favourable right side. Staffman, what do you mean by there is not a lot of water to spey fish around here? There is lots of places that i know of....i fish the Niagara, Saugeen, Credit and lots of upstate NY waters and all of them have places to spey fish. That and the fact the Grand river is right in my backyard. Im not giving up on other forms of fishing either....just trying to add some other options. Before i met Cliff and took some fly lessons i knew about zero....since then i tye my own flies and have landed lots of fish on other than just roe. Roe gets boring after a while....i use more beads and flys now and find if its presented properly is just as good....and sometimez even better.I usually search out areas with less people and cant wait to hook a fish on my switch rod....lots of guys have switched completely over to fly and i think its growing even more every day.

Staffman didn't comment on fishable spey water, that was Catfish. I would think that any mid to large river could be fished with a spey rod.

Sorry about that Staffman, your right it was catfish. Yes, there is plenty of rivers suitable to spey casting. Maybe I was still sleeping....lol

You throw one of those big loops in the credit??

Sure man why not ? Theres lots of places on the credit. Not saying erindale park or places like that....but i know plenty of wider stretches of the river and some that i have exclusive passage thats private property near norval. I have the grand in my yard as well. Like i said i fish the saugeen and upstate rivers as well. Im only using a 11ft switch rod as well...i know what your saying though...i like to avoid crowds anyway if possible.....when its not possible haul out the float rod.

Dave that's good to hear that you are practicing off both casting arms. You never want to be limited to where you can fish. It makes a huge difference to be ambidextrous when learning to spey cast. I am so glad my instructor never let get too comfortable.

Catfish, I fish my spey setup all the time at the credit. I use a more downstream on a 45 degree angle when casting there. Some areas you can still throw a long cast.

Catfish, I fish my spey setup all the time at the credit. I use a more downstream on a 45 degree angle when casting there. Some areas you can still throw a long cast.

K. I do regular fly fishing, and I like the ability to bush wack and handle small streams, without getting tangled in the brush much.

Dave that's good to hear that you are practicing off both casting arms. You never want to be limited to where you can fish. It makes a huge difference to be ambidextrous when learning to spey cast. I am so glad my instructor never let get too comfortable.

Took another milestone today...getting the correct setup. I spent some time with a true gentleman of the sport Ray Callesso. Took my rod into the store as suggested by Rick after the lesson.....came out $450 less in my pocket....lol. My reel I had was an orvis mid arbour which was too small of capacity. So thinking I probably will go full spey sooner of later I picked up a ion reel as well. Ray loaded it up with backing for me, then put on the running line, and Airflos Spey Skagit/Switch line in 540 gr. Then we looked at tips...I already had done lots of research on the MOW tips. I was just going to get one or two tips....but I was already knee deep...lol. So I splurged for the complete set, thinking the whole time my wifes going to kill me...lol. Anyway, Im broke....but Im happy. Got some great pointers from Ray about why I should practice casting a bit before adding the actual hook....lol. He explained it to me well...so Im going to take his advice and and get some practice in. Im set for tomorrow morning to set out and work what I learned then add the hooks once Im not making any anchor point mistakes that could embed a hook in myself. Im pumped and ready.....I,ll even settle for a small bass on the grand river to get me ready for the fall. Cant wait... :P

Rick is a great instructor. He teaches all types of flycasting from beginners to expert. Its always good to do a lesson from time to time to polish up your casting and fix any bad habits. Good luck with you spey rod. the Grand is a great steelhead river in the fall and perfect for spey casting

Archived