First Fish On The Spey

DaveC

Well rod in hand and green as can be, I was pumped to get out on the Grand River, 3 mins exactly from my door step. Off on holidays this week so I figured I would try the new spey/switch setup. I did an 2 hours of practice on tues with no hooks just a fly. Weds I decided this is no fun....Im casting pretty good time for some flys. Got over to the river at about 8:00 after I stopped for a coffee first. Took my time getting ready because Im more thinking another day of practice....don't really target bass to begin with. I know theres fish in there, and Im going to walk around...breath some fresh air and just check out the surroundings.

grand_zpsf02bcbf5.jpg

Absolutley beautiful day for fishing...slow moving current and just a great morning. The one thing I have found so far fishing the spey setup on my switch rod is the sensitivity. You can feel every little thing. I was using a MOW tip with 7.5 float/ and 2.5 sink and running some small streamer flies. There was one section I kept getting hung up on and I wanted my fly in that area cause I seen fish surfacing there. So I switch up from the sink tip to a floating tip and changed fly to a woolly bugger that I had got before from Cliff...more of a crystal flash bugger in chartruse. First Drift...

Bang...fish on the spey setup !!! Im telling you that this is so much fun....this went on for about a good 2hours of lots of small fish before it died off completely.

speybass_zpsea670816.jpg

Awe_zpsad24bda5.jpg

Im really going to enjoy this style of fishing...and the lesson I took has got me started and gave me the basics. I am able to recognize my mistakes

and when I do make a bad cast, I know what Ive done wrong. The feel of knowing what your fly is doing is just great. Pin fishing your eyes are glued to your float and with this fishing you can gaze around relax more because you don't even have to set the hook...the fish does that for you. The actual take is pretty cool....I cant wait til the fall, just cant imagine what a steely is going to do on the take. Oh and Im casting off both sides, something I never could do pin fishing....lovin it.

Congrats! Now that you're a spey pro, you'll never (or rarely) go back. We'll have to meet up one day and do some casting together: you could probably offer me some tips now!

Id meet up with you anytime coach...pm me and im in. Drove down to bean park today but the river was blown out. Just wanted to see that section of the river. Talked to one of the guys who was running the canoeing the grand from Cambridge to Paris...he told me its about a 5 hr trip. Im interested in trying that so i can check out the holding spots for fish. Looks like it would be a fun trip if they allow you to stop and wade.

You gotta feel pumped man...awesome!!!

Saw a lot of surface action by carp in Cambridge...might be fun there.

Yeh man, it really is fun...If I had a full spey rod I think I could get some better distance, but Im not complaining. I know a few places that have lots of carp but for now Im happy with the Bass. On a sad note....I lost a whole box of flies, either at Seneca Park or here in Cambridge....went to look for them but could not find them. Had a crap load of flies in there too....Think they fell out of my trunk when I was pulling my waders out of the storage box. Oh well....hope whoever finds them catches a few fish with them...lol

I will go with the switch rod for this season, then maybe upgrade to a full spey next year. I have a new custom Kingpin float rod on the way as well....so anymore mention of any kind of rods around my house could result in me living in a tent on the river. Come to think of it might not be too bad... :smiley_campfire-1: Going to grab a new fly box this week, hopefully find one that I can attach a retractor to this time and restock.

Took two more small bass tonight on the fly rod....only small guys 8-9 inch but fun none the less. Really enjoying the casting as much as catching. Couple bad casts but i find if i dont concentrate as much i shoot out some good ones. Im able to get out the whole head the 10 ft lead and 3ft tippet and about 15 ft of running line....is that any good? How far do you spey guys shoot your running line? I got about 20 ft into it one time.....but thats only if i hit the sweet spot just right. Cant wait for steel !!!

Archived