Surprised

captnn

It can sure get mean...I have heard of 20ft boats swamped, no surprise to me. Helps if you know your boat well, and your not going to push your luck. Lots of people do though...for a fish, really a fish....risk your life? Would never catch me ever rolling the dice on bad weather. I had an experience a few years ago going out of Port Credit...was putting my boat in and could not figure out why everyone was sitting around...one guy mentioned bad east wind. So I proceeded to take my boat out...buddy came down tooting his horn weather I was coming or going...I told the guy where to get off, and said hey dude...go ahead have at it. He launched his boat and proceeded to make his way out towards the light house at the river mouth...I stood on the Lakeshore bridge and watched. He got out past the light house and his boat was bouncing almost verticle up and down. When he turned around and came back to the launch....I just said what happened big shot?? Maybe next time you wont climb all over someone elses back. Some people just don't care...that's the bottom line. They would rather drown...same with the ice guys that fish on an inch of ice. Crap shooters...with no brains.

I'm Surprised, I think there may be more to the story then whats been put out, it was an 18' boat it should be able to handle some rough seas. Although it was a Legend hahahaha, I think perhaps some operator error may also be a factor in this situation, i heard it was 3' seas, which is on the rough side but should be managable.As for a 14' boat on lake Erie only if I'm in 3' of water no more then 100' from shore hahahah

I agree with you Dude. I'm thinking getting a bit rough and in a hurry to get in. Buried his bow into a wave and the trailing wave filled the boat causing it to capsize. All he had to do is ride the waves in. Inexperienced operator?

I agree with you Dude. I'm thinking getting a bit rough and in a hurry to get in. Buried his bow into a wave and the trailing wave filled the boat causing it to capsize. All he had to do is ride the waves in. Inexperienced operator?

Yup exactly. Stuff a good size wave on a boat with an open bow and its like a shovel scooping up water.

Read the speed of the waves and gage your speed.

Cam

That sounds like scenerio or if you take a couple over the back then hit it noway the boat is going to get up on plane, all the water rushes to the back and that weight could drag you under. Anyway they all had life jackets on and everyone and the boat will dry out to fish another day, just maybe not on Erie hehehehe

Here we go with this crap again about size, like she said size doesn't matter, it what you do with what you got! If you have an 18' or a 28' you have to know your weather conditions, know your area's and always have an escape route, been fishing and boating on Erie in my 15 1/2' with a 45 merc 2 stroke outboard and an open bow since 1987, we have been caught in bad spots more than once, but since the invention of the smartphone and internet weather updates as well as lots of radar available I haven't been caught in a long time. Know your boat! Sometimes instead of being afraid, what ppl need to do is get out there in bad weather, just like when I was learning to drive a car, my dad took me to a parking lot during a snow storm and said alright boy let’s do some doughnuts, sometimes in a controlled manner it’s good to get out in some bad weather so you can learn to judge waves, learn what to do when you take on water, Of course it would be stupid to drive into the middle of the lake during a storm, some boaters could really use some experience in adverse conditions. Like I said in the past if it is too rough for a 16’ boat it is too rough for a 28’ boat.

People who don't fish Erie often don't realize how quick it can get bad. They also get fooled when going out with a north wind and then find a problem when they turn around to come back. A week ago I turned around and came back when weather fooled me as to what the conditions were like 2 miles from shore.

I check the weather bouy if it looks questionable.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=45142

You can see what the winds are out in the lake. It can be very different from at the shore. You can also see the winds for last 12 hours and gauge if they are increasing or decreasing.

Archived