Finally....a Set Up At Last!

RoeBaggin

I finally have a spey set up to cut my teeth on. Two arrivals this week have me stoked....The first arrival arrived from Allen fly reels and I must say after opening the box I was not disappointed! The reel is flawless and has a really smooth drag. I encourage anyone who is looking for a reel that is fully machined and reasonable on price....give them a look! The second arrival is a purchase of a barely used echo solo 13ft 8wt along with an echo reel with backing, airflo running line,and airflo skagit compact 600 grain shooting head. I purchased it from a gentleman on the spey pages classifieds...shipped from B.C. I personally think I stole the combo considering the price I paid.
Here's some gear pr0n....

IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_0106.jpg

Excited to start practicing!!!!

Wow, nice setup man. Reel looks similar to mine ( echo ion ) I guess cause it is... Looks pretty sharp, for sure. When you say your ready to practice, I don't know what your skill level is? but if your just a beginner I highly suggest you practice without a hook. That's an awesome looking combo you have there.. if you need a practice partner, let me know. Spey is the way !!!

Absolutely....im in Cambridge right on the grand but dont mind driving down. Im really enjoying it. I dont even care if i hook a fish....lol. the casting is so cool...keep trying to see how far i can bomb it out there. Pull another foot cast....pull another foot cast...lol. A 4 lb bass was a riot...cant even imagine what a fresh steelie is gonna be like. That rod you got looks like brand new...what a steal!!

The skagit head , running line and backing is $120 alone. The reels another $120....so yeh great deal.

What size reel is it ? 8/10 or 10/12 . I had to buy another echo for the spey rod cause the 8/10 was not big enough for that 14 ft loomis i picked up. Im all set now though....my wife is like...more money for fishing....lol. i said honey....i bought the switch rod for you.!!! Ill sell it if your not happy....lol. the addiction lives on...lol

I have the 10/12 dave...it has just a bit of rash on it...but nothing serious....I might have to invest in a lighter skagit line...so I don't over weight the rod when using heavy sinktips...I'm also gonna need a floating tip as well. Lol the addiction keeps my bank account at all time lows!!!!

Rb

That 600.should be fine seeing the rod rating is 540-650. I would think it would be perfect. I was told to measure your rod balance whenthe whole shooting head is out. You should be able to bomb them out there with that head, sink tips and all. At the spey clave there was discussion on tips by one of the pro staffs...he said a 7.5 float 2.5 sink and a 5' sink 5' float is the only two tips you really need for Ontario steelheading....a couple of slow sink poly leaders and thats it when it comes to tips. I bought the full set of MOWS for $160. But according to this guy...only need those 2. And a full floating of course. He claims he only fishes those 2 tips and thats it. The only other time i could see you needing full sink tips...would be the Niagara. I think your 600 will work fine...and your 10/12 should give you nice balance....great reel concidering the price.

I might buy a line for the niagara as it is my home water...in the 475-500 grain range. With sink tips of t10-12 @ 10-12ft long would put me right in the sweet spot for my rods rating. The 600 grain I could use for other water systems in ontario....like the saugeen and meaford etc.

RB

Nice laker on the spey...myself I have a full set of tips, also have 3 extra straight sink tips as well. To spey fish the pool, do you usually go into the left side corner so you can get in the water? My fear is going into any of the Niagara river, but seen people over to the left spey casting before. I know pebbly has a few places you can. BTW Snakeman, if your still interested in the trip I mentioned in the hookups section its still on. PM me if you need anymore details or your interested.

You could get away with casting from shore with the compact skagit set up using snap t casts...from what I have seen very little room behind the caster is needed. There are also a few rocks that put you over the water where you don't have to worry about snagging on rocks behind you.

RB

Nice laker on the spey...myself I have a full set of tips, also have 3 extra straight sink tips as well. To spey fish the pool, do you usually go into the left side corner so you can get in the water? My fear is going into any of the Niagara river, but seen people over to the left spey casting before. I know pebbly has a few places you can. BTW Snakeman, if your still interested in the trip I mentioned in the hookups section its still on. PM me if you need anymore details or your interested.

i fish everywhere at the whirlpool, don't stay in the same spot too long, far left side of the pool is my favourite spot, alot deeper, i believe it makes it harder to spook the fish if they are deeper under your casts. but thats not to say you cant pull a few fish out of the kitty corner run to the right of the helipad in the corner. another great spot a lot of people overlook is the deep steep cliffs along the right side of the pool (up stream side) stripping a streamer right tight to the shore has taken countless amounts of fish throughout the entire season. but utmost care should be taken fishing the steep cliff drop offs on that side, especially before november when there is large amounts of algae on the rocks still. but my favourite spots to fish are hidden in different areas of the glen, i tend to fish more awkward different waters then the crowds. quite a few times dropping a line in behind any rock or obstruction a few times will quickly let you know if a fish or 2 is holding there.

lay offs are comming with my job sooner then expected, so i may have to turn my attention to fishing home waters and the US erie tribs for now, but it does look like a very interesting adventure no doubt.

i also have a multi pack of spey tips, but i find the presentation and depth achieved with a full sink really makes a difference when fishing the mighty niagara. when i fish my float down there, im fishing 15-20ft with a slip float, so i try to imagine my fly reaching the same appropriate depths to keep the fly in "the strike zone" as long as possible. there are also a host of different conflicting currents down there, with a floating line on top, it may be adding different speeds to the end of your fly line.

Anywho with layoffs comming soon, i will most likely be down at my home away from home down in the glen/pool a lot this winter again, i'm spoiled being only 10 mins away from the river :)

I'm in st.cath and only 15 mins away. I have fished the river for twenty plus years and have fished every style...except spey. I have float fished the niagara for eight years and I believe that it will give me the knowledge of depth and presentation that snakeman mentioned. I am looking forward to the upcoming steelhead season.

RB

Archived