Attention Trappers

Bryan

Just curious if there are any Trappers on this site?

I'd like to know more about this, when/where do you trap?, and what season does trapping take place?

I am a licensed trapper. I don't really do much more than racoon control for a few farmers these days but what are you interested in trapping? Are you thinking small game or fur bearing animals? If you want to do any trapping in Southern Ontario you need to do the Fur Harvesters course and get your license. At that point you can do nuisance trapping down here. Otherwise you can put your name in for a trapping line up north but there are minimum quotas you need to achieve or you lose the line.

Hey thanks for the info.

Well i was thinking of taking the course and then doing some Nuisance Trapping for some experience for now while i'm living in Niagara. I'm looking to move up North to the Parry Sound area in a few years, and i was thinking about Trapping up the on my own Trapping line..

Do you know what the Quotas are for running a Line?

And is it possible to trap while holding a Full or Part time job? or is trapping a full time job?

If you have your own property up there you can most certainly trap on it. There won't be a registered line that far south though. The quotas are set per line on an individual basis I believe based on the previous years history's as well as the survey's done for the area. You should be able to trap while working full time keeping in mind that you will have to check the traps every day without fail. If you only have 10-20 sets out there it should be fairly manageable. You will have to make sure you budget time to process the pelts as well so during the trapping season you will be a busy boy.

There is nothing sweeter in the hands than a nice fresh pelt though. It's amazing how soft the fur really is when it's fresh and unprocessed. If you do start down here try approaching various farmers with water on their property about muskrats. For some reason over the last year or two the price of rats has gone up enough to make them worth it for the 10-15 minute process time.

Archived