Ny Tribs

manutd_jeeves

Hey guys, was wondering if there was a lot of traction and validity behind some mumblings about the supremacy of NY tribes over canadian waters? I get the con is purchasing a license and commuting over the border, but I have heard from multiple sources the quantity of fish due to stocking programs is vast in New York, and that although the fish may not be as large, there is a better chance of having a good day there. If any of you could PM me (if you do not wish to share here) regarding some tribe to try over my x max break I would appreciate it very much. Looking to catch fish on the fly and with my pin.

Cheers

Jeeves

I have never fished any US tribs as I am content with whats right in our backyard, but guys I have talked to said it can be nothing short of amazing when its on. its true the US stock way more fish than Ontario, and if it wasn't for them and our private clubs taking up the slack, this fishery might have nosedived years ago. a popular trib is 18 mile. and erie tribs are less crowded if you wanna get away from that.

there are a lot of pros and cons, the only con i see is crossing the border, its a pain at times, i.e; sporting events and what not, but the 70$ for a license is hardly a con in my opinion, as u get what you pay for, and you get quite a bit fishing in NY. The DEC website is spectacular if you are new to fishing the southern neighbourhood. Tells you what fish are present in which rivers, maps of public fishing rights, how many fish per mile and average sizes. Another advantage i find, is the us government geological survey, in which they have monitoring stations on many of the rivers so you can check the river flows and turbidity and such. Once you get a good grasp on reading the charts, its quite possible to plan your days to achieve banner days.

I would recommend keeping an eye on the hook ups forums and join a few seasoned anglers across the border, as this will greatly shorten the learning curve if your new to small streams as i was. its an amazing fishery and i recommend it to anyone to has the opportunity.

there are a lot of pros and cons, the only con i see is crossing the border, its a pain at times, i.e; sporting events and what not, but the 70$ for a license is hardly a con in my opinion, as u get what you pay for, and you get quite a bit fishing in NY. The DEC website is spectacular if you are new to fishing the southern neighbourhood. Tells you what fish are present in which rivers, maps of public fishing rights, how many fish per mile and average sizes. Another advantage i find, is the us government geological survey, in which they have monitoring stations on many of the rivers so you can check the river flows and turbidity and such. Once you get a good grasp on reading the charts, its quite possible to plan your days to achieve banner days.

I would recommend keeping an eye on the hook ups forums and join a few seasoned anglers across the border, as this will greatly shorten the learning curve if your new to small streams as i was. its an amazing fishery and i recommend it to anyone to has the opportunity.

Hey so with that being said, if anyone is interested making the trip with a friend and I we were thinking december 12th of doing a day trip. To be honest, I just love fishing new bodies of water, and as Jordan knows quite well, I am not a guy who cares necessarily at how much fish he gets, its the experience and experiencing the tranquility. However, I am always open of course to having a personal best swim by! Anybody who is interested let me know!!!!

Being from Niagara, I only fish NY tribs, other than the odd trip up north. Not worth my time to drive 1-1.5 hrs to the north shore to fish small ditches and fight big city crowds. The NY tribs in the winter months have lesser crowds, more fish, and bigger water. The same driving time gets you access to probably 4-5 rivers depending which lake you want to fish. If you want to fish ditches they have those too. Erie tribs do have smaller crowds, but during the Lake O salmon run, the erie tribs get just as packed since they don't have the salmon blood lust, they have the steelhead bloodlust. From sept - may im usually fishing the states minimum once a week, if not twice. Border crossing is super easy in the morning, but can suck at the end of the day, so I typically try to cross at rainbow at the end of the day to avoid the crowds, or try to cross back into Canada before or after typical rush hour times to avoid the line-ups.

Being from Niagara, I only fish NY tribs, other than the odd trip up north. Not worth my time to drive 1-1.5 hrs to the north shore to fish small ditches and fight big city crowds. The NY tribs in the winter months have lesser crowds, more fish, and bigger water. The same driving time gets you access to probably 4-5 rivers depending which lake you want to fish. If you want to fish ditches they have those too. Erie tribs do have smaller crowds, but during the Lake O salmon run, the erie tribs get just as packed since they don't have the salmon blood lust, they have the steelhead bloodlust. From sept - may im usually fishing the states minimum once a week, if not twice. Border crossing is super easy in the morning, but can suck at the end of the day, so I typically try to cross at rainbow at the end of the day to avoid the crowds, or try to cross back into Canada before or after typical rush hour times to avoid the line-ups.

Would you mind PMing me different trib names? other than 18 mile I have no idea of the other names.

Archived