Hip Wader Recommendations

captainplanet

Hi folks, I just got back from hiking a couple miles in my Cabelas hip waders and every joint, from my hips down to my toes, ache.

With that said, could anybody recommend a hipwader setup that is good for long stream side hikes? I am looking for something that is supportive in the ankles, has good grip on a river bed and can traverse some rugged terain. I would wear these in the cold and warmer months too. Maybe there are stocking style hip waders that I can wear in hiking specific wading boots perhaps?

On a side note, I am also in the market for a proper wading staff if anybody has suggestions on that too.

Thanks!

Hard to find an all around waders, Neoprean material waders are comfortable but gets very hot during summer months. or after a hike from nIagara river.

One option is to wear them only when you are at the water ,then take them off before and after hiking back to the parking lot, I know it is a nuisance to carry them,but I find it way more comfortable that way, where I do not perspire too much during a long hike.

I own both neoprean, rubber material waders , and another leg rubber waders, that is easiest to carry.

I have simms freestones and they phenomenal. I'm warm I just put on long johns and jogging pants. They need boot separately. But in my opinion you don't get enough support out the waders when they have preattached boots. Buying them separate was the best thing I ever did

Sorry for the Grammer. New phone with a giant screen but small touch keyboar.

I bought a pair of Cabelas stocking foot hip waders several years ago, and wear them with my Simms Guide boots. The guide boots provide all the support and grip you need,(with studs), and the hip waders are excellent in the warm weather. Even though the full height waders are breathable, the 'boys' still get pretty hot in the late spring, summer, early fall, and the hip waders are the best option if deep water is not an issue. Not cheap, but money well spent is better than getting something that doesn't work.

There are a few decent ones at dicks in the states made by field and stream for 100-140. They are super light, breathable and comfortable. Then you need to buy wading boots. My next pair will be from orvis. They rated as the second best in a recent study because of their price and durability. They have a ton of value. They need to be purchased online though.

Good luck.

I have Cabelas stocking foot hips and Cabelas boots ( come with studs to screw in) and I think they work pretty well. I've fIshed the glen and the whirlpool many times with them and have no complaints. Tax and shipping, they are about 155.00 for the set - hips and boots. I wouldn't mind a more breathable set of hips but I couldn't find any other stocking foot hips when I was looking. I'll have to check out the Orvis hips next time around. I definitely like the hips for hiking around the Niagara, hardly know you have them on.

Thanks everyone. All good suggestions. I have checked out the Cabelas brand stocking hipwaders and their lug boots. Price wise its very tempting and very close to what I want, so I put my order in. Turns out cabelas also sells hiking staffs complete with tungsten picks. Those streams should be a breaze to hike soon.

I have found the adjustable walking sticks don't have the support needed when you are in the middle of the stream on a day you should have not tried to cross.

A better option is a ski pole, 52" works for me, and I'm 6'

It has the tungsten point as well. Doesn't collapse, which believe me is a good thing. Most ski shops will have a single one laying around for $10-15.

One is all you need since your rod will be in your other hand.

Archived