Port Darlington Scotty Report

Tim Bromund

Pete and "Big Al" Kelly and I fished the 2nd Scotty Tourny out of Port Darlington this weekend and what a weekend it was. The fishing there has to be seen to be believed.

Pete and I pre-fished on Friday, Al was competing in a basketball tournament and came up friday evening. We searched for a picture and found none, no bait or hooks to speak of, but we had good down temp so we put down some baits and started searching. We fished west of the harbor out in front of Oshawa and had a great morning, 4 rods in the water and we finished the morning with 12 or so fish, including 2 20 lb class kings and 3 that were in the ballpark of 30 lbs, plus a lot of teenagers (all fish released). hot rigs were spindoctos and flies in a variety of colors.

Saturday AM, the shotgun start of the tourny was at 5:30, we ran out west past the power plant and set up. The early bite action on saturday was incredible, the 1st rigger wasn't down a minute before it fired and we never got more that 2 lines in the water for the first 45 minutes, same rigs as friday. We had 6 kings in the box by 6:22, but the fish we were catching were all cookie cutter 3 year olds in the mid-high teens, not the big guys we were looking for, so we left that area and continued west towards the area where we were taking the bigger guys on friday and filled out a nice box. Again, spin doctors and flies off the riggers were the ticket. We switched out the mountain dew SD for a green glow e-chip and crinkle green fly on the high rigger and that ended up taking our big fish for the day at 22.5 lbs or so. We ended up boating 18 or 19 fish out of 25 bites and weighed in a 5 fish box of 99.08 lbs, good enough for 4th place after day 1.

Sunday the water had changed and those fish weren't in front of the plant anymore, so we pulled and ran west to our big fish grounds and gradually worked west as the day went on. The bite was a little tougher, but we still managed to boat 16 or 17 fish, The bits sunday was mostly spoons and on the divers and lead core, almost no rigger bite till the afternoon. We had 1 double header on the core and power pro diver, both 20 lb class fish, got em both in. We had one fish that hit the mono slide diver that ripped off a 100+ yd run screaming across the surface and then jumped 3 feet out of the water a couple of times and shook off. This fish was big and thick, too thick to be a steelhead. I'm guessing it was one of those oddball monster Cohos that occasionally show up. Our Sunday box ended up at 93 lbs and change.

We ended up in 2nd place by 3 points, and in the overall Tournament Series Championship, we also moved up to 2nd place, where we are currently only about a pound and a half out of the lead.

here are a couple of pics from Sunday

Sunday's box:

065034.JPG

Big Al Kelly with Sundays big fish:

065038.JPG

Our total take for the tourny:

065035.JPG

ok, ok seriously, there was a guy there that requested all the unwanted fish up to take to the Toronto Zoo to feed the bears, that is the back of his pick up.

Great weekend, great tourny, you guys are crazy if you don't fish it next year, the action is unbelievable.

Tim

Guest bigfishbass

very nice catches..... ya that bear food thing would interesting to get out of...little explaining to do ...LOL....

Guest fishstick

Way to go Tim!!!!

Thanx for the post and pics. It's nice to see what's happening on the nuclear side of the lake once in awhile.

Btw, it's a shame to see all of those nice sized fish go to a few hungry bears, maybe we should start charging the Metro Zoo a fee to help us restock the lake.... :)

If I make it to the Zoo anytime soon, and the Polar bears have a little green glow to them, I'll know what's on their menu. B)

Guest Jeetmuck

Congrats on the tourney Tim. Those look to be some nice fighting fish. I can imagine those would be just a snack for the bears, you ever see the size of the grizzly's they have there...one word...MONSTERS... :)

Archived