Simcoe Saturday

Seanook

Was out on Lake Simcoe with a few buddies yesterday.Temps were alright and the winds weren't too bad early in the day. Had an Aqua-vu cam unit with us and I gotta admit it's pretty wild seeing large schools of white fish and Lakers blast over the drop off at 100 plus feet. Didn't get to see anything take our lines as it was a slow day all around. Lots of idiots on snow machines almost running or tip ups over and a plane swooping in over our heads made it a tad more interesting as well. Had a good 9-16 inches of ice underneath. Pressure cracks,some deadly looking sudden open water and evening high winds ended what was gonna be an over nighter. Didn't think they posed an immediate threat but played it safe and got the heck outta there. Threw just about everything we had at those lakers with no takers. Good day all the same. I gotta wonder out loud if the cam system was spooking the fish. Kept the LED setting off most of the time but it just seemed like any time a fish came in to investigate, it would get spooked. Don't think I would use it again for more than to survey the scene and depth. Pretty cool still.

Word all around is that its been slow although some of the whitefish guys were doing alright. We had lines down at various times in 120', 110 and 75. We found the dropoffs structure, flats and you name it! Nothing. We marked fish in almost all of our spots but they weren't biting. What we did find though is that the schooling whitefish were routinely ambushing baitfish along the dropoffs. They were hugging the bottom along the sharp incline and bursting up from the depths onto the flats and then returning en-masse to the deep. A surreal sight for sure. Sounded like we had the football game on outside our hut. A few guys came over to check the score. It attracted a few spectators.

Archived