Colborne smallies

Guest deepblackwater

Guest deepblackwater

I know the weather hasn't been ideal but has anybody been out lately? The weather seems to be getting better by the weekend, hoping to get in a few more weekends if at all possible before I put the boat away. Any info on how deep you're finding them would be great.

I've just recently started fishing there and had a decent day a few weeks ago and a slower day a couple weekends ago. As you all know I couldn't even think of going out las weekend.

Guest Brian Laketrout Cuthbertson
  The weather seems to be getting better by the weekend, hoping to get in a few more weekends if at all possible before I put the boat away. 

1554[/snapback]

Can't help you with the Bass,but,you put your boat away??

HMCS_Avro_Arrow--------Icebreaker.jpg

Guest deepblackwater

Brian I wish I could fish right through winter, but a few years ago in October or November as I was coming back from a fishing trip i suddenly got into a white out situation with my boat in tow. That was one of the scariest things that's happened to me. Ever since that day i've decided to winterize Nov 30. Of course if we get a warm spell I could always take her out of hibernation :worthy: Love those pics!

I was picking up the bass in 20-30fow a few weeks back as well. I'm hoping to get into some hawgs soon. Like Tom says the fish are going to forget what a lure looks like! :worthy:

Guest Brian Laketrout Cuthbertson

I hear you on that,I don't take the boat out if theres snow on the road,it's bad enough on bare roads with ppl running up on me when I'm stopped at a light. Don't ppl know if they run into my boat there going to get HURT :worthy: j/k of course :worthy:

Went out this morn at 7:15 looked at a few spots and finally settled in on the two mile marker. Wind out of the east and very little chop. Immediatly got onto fish. Three of us boated about 35 fish and a handful of goby in 4 1/2 hrs. Not bad. Had two hogs that tipped 5lbs and afew 4s but mostly 2 to 3. Were were using tubes with 3/8 jigs in various colours. water temp was 58.6 and the baitfish are still a way out, should be in by now.All in all a great day, hell the moment i got my timmys it was a great day.All were released to fight another day. :worthy:

Guest Steelheader

Just curious, what do you guys look for when you're out there at this time of year? Looking for schools of baitfish? Drop offs? Fish on the scope? You mention checking out a few "spots"...I'm just wondering what that means when you're 2 miles out on a big lake.

We look for structure and bait fish. When we are checking out a spot it usually means an area that has produced in the past and the way points are in the GPS or as on the downloadable GPS we have a hydrograghic map of the lake right at our fingertips. A lot of the spots are found by chance drifting with the wind and if it produces then we mark it.

Deepblackwater, I've been fishing there for the last few years and one thing I've learned is there are always Smallies around the outside of the outer break-wall. Maybe not the 5+lbs. fish, but it comes in handy when it's rough on the open lake.

Guest Steelheader
We look for  structure and bait fish. When we are  checking out a spot it usually means an area that has produced in the past and the way points are in the GPS or as on the downloadable GPS we have a hydrograghic map of the lake right at our fingertips. A lot of the spots are found by chance drifting with the wind and if it produces then we mark it.

1610[/snapback]

Cool, thanks man.

Guest deepblackwater

Sirfishalot thanks for the tips. 2 mile is going to be one of the first spots i'll be checking. Did pretty good there last year real late in the season. Good to hear you latched on to some hawgs. Were the fish schooled really tight or were they fairly big? couple weeks back got onto a school at 2 mile and had a real hard time staying on them, either it was a real small school or they were just scooled real tight and moving constantly.

Stevek thanks for the tip, it can really save the trip after hauling the boat to the launch only to find Erie in a fury.

Steelheader I fish pretty much the same as Sirfishalot described. Look for structure, drops, shoals etc. If we pick up a fish we mark it on the gps. Sometimes when we stop for lunch we'll run until we notice something different turn around and drift through it with a tube while we have a quick bite. If we pick up fish we mark it and fish it a little more thoroughly. You really do need a GPS to fish the lake, you lose too much time on the water without one.

If all goes well I'll be on the water Sunday! :Gonefishing:

DeepBL, they really aren't schooled, they are spread out pretty much all over. They are fattening up for the winter and are loosing thier green colour and getting nice and bronzy. A drift sock helps to keep you over an area a little longer when the wind is kicking up .Another good tip is ,when you mark the fish on your graph try dropping the tube right in front of the fish on the opposite side of the boat chances are it will almost hit him on the nose and a couple of good twitches later fish on ! ,in 40ft the size of the cone should be around 12 or 13 ft at the bottom provided it is a 22% cone. I guess really persistence and the love of the game is the key. Saturday there is a tourney out of Port Colborne with the wiegh in starting around 2 or so you should check it out. Good luck on Sunday.......Thom

They should be sort of schooled now but with the way the weather has gone this summer who knows, not I thats for sure. This has been my worst year ever on Erie, not even a walleye to show for it.just smallies,perch,crappie sheephead and them damn gobies. Might try bertie boat club on Sun. they took the docks out last weekend and the perch should be coming in soon....Thom

Archived