Carp Experts, Gear Question.

perkins

Good morning,

Can anyone tell me what is the difference between, carp rod, stalker rod, spod rod, feeder rod, predator rods and marker rods?

Looking on doing the investment soon for a new rig. If I bought a carp rod would it suffice with catfishing?

Any advice on a good set up for around here like Daley, Hamilton, Martindale etc would be great.

Thanks folks.

You don't want a spod or marker rod for carp fishing, too stiff. Stalker rods are shorter rods usually lower test curve, meant for smaller places, easy traveling. I personally like a 3lb test curve as an all around rod, not overly stiff, but still will allow you to toss a decent method ball if desired.

If your interested in a carp rod Daiwa makes some decent qualtiy low end rods, but they also have a few different levels of quality. I myself own a black widow and although it's not my #1 anymore, i still use it from time to time, landed fish up to high 20's with ease.

• 2 weeks later...

a 3lb tc rod is not needed for any of the venues you listed...overkill for an all-arounder IMO

If you want to fish Daley I would suggest at least a 3lb TC for throwing method balls you also need a decent size lead and the fish are normally out there pretty far. at our daley event last year the winner was using a 3.5lb TC and was casting method balls 130 yards easy. many people caught fish that day but he single handedly landed more fish himself than the the rest of his competitors together. No maybe 2.75 TC is nice but if you want distance you should be using a higher lb. for a spod I know many anglers who use a 5lb TC depend if your fishing for fun or competetively. Cheers guys.

• 2 weeks later...

I think 120 for reel and 89.00 for rod and i threw 30lb braid. You can do it for cheaper, i know angela at petes put my rod ob sale it was originally 189.00 and there is cheaper bait runners too.

Archived