Swim Baits For Smallies

daler

Looking to add swim baits to my aresenal. I fish the upper so looking for some suggestions on baits, jig heads, size and weights.

Do you throw them ahead of the current, swim them in slowly lifting and dropping the rod to make the action eratic? I tend to fish shallow (under 15 feet). Any help on technique and what to buy/use is appreciated.

Dale

Hey Daler,

I love throwing swimbaits (Soft plastic) for smallies and largies in the Upper. I use a EWG Weighted Worm Hook and Texas rig them in spring/summer. Keeps the algae and weeds to a minimum. I throw them to the side just ahead of the boat, like you would a spinnerbait or jerkbait. If you throw to the front, you have to reel a bit faster to give the bait action. Not much jerking or ripping is needed, the subtle thump of the tail and side-to-side action usually get the fish interested.

Bigger baits require less weight. I like the Reaction Innovations Little Dipper (Spring/Clear Water) Skinny Dipper (Fall/Stained Water) The Berkley Sick Fish is a nice bait, haven't fished it much but I will give you a better report in the spring. There are lots of baits on the market, Yum Money Minnow, Berkley Hollow Body, Jackall Ammonite Shad and many, many more. I chose the Skinny/Little Dipper for the size and the colour options. I would say grab a pack of any hollow body baits and solid body baits when they are on sale and try them out. Stay with natural colours in clear water and match the bait size with the prey size. Small in Spring, bigger in Fall.

I use braid and flouro depending when and where I'm fishing. With braid, I use a heavier gauge hook and I will use lighter gauge hooks on flouro. 7' rod or bigger, Medium to Medium Heavy, Fast action. I like to throw the big stuff on casting gear. I don't throw to many on a jig head, but I have used a swimming jig, with moderate success. Mono and flouro in 8lb-10lb test should suffice on spinning gear for smallies. Long casts in clear water to pre-spawn and post spawn fish are a great way to cut your teeth.

For largies, I rig them like a rodent, with a tungsten worm weight, texas rigged hook and swim them through cane and weed beds. You can rig and use them like a Senko. Skip them under docks, but then they swim back and may get fish on the way back to the boat.

I haven't nailed down when is the best time to throw them (weather conditions) but I always seem to get fish on them. I will let you know how I do on hard body swimbaits when I fish them in the spring.

Good Luck and Tight Lines!

Archived