Fair Weather Fisherman

Guest fishmaster

Guest fishmaster

Went down to the Dunnville Dam this mornin before work hard to belive no one around. must be the weather cause it shure not a lack of Walleye .got there at 7 am fished till 9:30 landed 6 walleye lost a big fish that cut me off i belive it was a pike or a muskie .good fight till it came up and trashed to far to tell what it was .all walleye came from the north side of the dam 3 fish off lime green twister black head tiped with a shinner and 3 fish off white twister pink head tiped with a shinner just bumping it off bottom really slow .seen a few rainbows jumping .kept 2 walleye for supper they where both full of 3 and 4" shad .looks like the weather is going to be good for the tournament this weekend and fishing should be good also .remeber guys 15" min and i hope for the new year this will be in the regs and no pre fishing after 12pm friday the Oct 22 .way to many people takeing little walleye that have just been kicked off the nest .if u can guys try to register before saturday mornin .thanks and and happy walleye hunting .

Guest bigfish1965

;

Minimum size limits have been shown to be counter-productive in that fish over 15" are shown to be the most prolific spawners and that fish under 15" have an incidental mortality rate that makes them the preferred size range for harvest. This is why slot limits are heavily favoured and have shown great success in restoring populations.

Guest fishmaster
;

Minimum size limits have been shown to be counter-productive in that fish over 15" are shown to be the most prolific spawners and that fish under 15" have an incidental mortality rate that makes them the preferred size range for harvest. This is why slot limits are heavily favoured and have shown great success in restoring populations.

1583[/snapback]

Yes but when there are guys keeping tons of small ones under 15" is no good and not saying who but they keep every single walleye they catch .the river holds all sizes and i belive u should not take any fish under a 1 pound and none over 3 lbs .and it has been in the works with the MNR for a 18' min and 1 fish the max of 27" we will see what happens i shure hope it happens .with all the work that we have done for the river and to see guys keeping baby walleye is totaly uncalled for ...

Guest bigfish1965

Then what would help the population sustain itself is a lower limit, not a minimum size limit. If you pull out all the 18-27 inch fish, the population will crash in less than five years since there will be significantly fewer viable eggs laid during spawn. The natural mortality of 18-27 inch fish is far less than that of smaller fish. You would be trying to protect fish that have a greater than 50% chance of dying anyway.

Guest fishmaster
Then what would help the population sustain itself is a lower limit, not a minimum size limit. If you pull out all the 18-27 inch fish, the population will crash in less than five years since there will be significantly fewer viable eggs laid during spawn.  The natural mortality of 18-27 inch fish is far less than that of smaller fish. You would be trying to protect fish that have a greater than 50% chance of dying anyway.

1595[/snapback]

90% off the fish are stocked bye the Dunnville Hunters & Anglers there is not much of a natural hach .in this dirty water .and if all the babys are being kept then whats for next years to come .soon as the fish get big good bye out to the lake they go and in the nets.they say 5% off walleye that are stocked in the river every make it into gill nets off port dover .lower limits .....they are low enough now for anglers .get rid of them dam nets .and stop takeing baby Walleye and the river will allways have 2 to 3 lb takers.just my though....................Fishamster

Guest fishmaster

Tommy u can live release if u like most fish wont make it to the scale live and most people i no keep there fish not like me i only keep fish when im going to eat them fresh .there is a prize for live release .so its your choice .

Archived